Main Menu

Thoughts on this 71 Cuda

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, March 11, 2019, 07:55:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

I'm going to go have a look at this Cuda on Thursday. Not looking for another project but these cars don't come up very often, especially close to me. I'm strongly thinking of bidding on it. It's in pretty bad shape but I've dealt with worse. I wouldn't get around to it for a while but I don't see the price of these cars going down anytime soon.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F143167616984

cuda hunter

It took him weeks to finally list the fender tag.
I emailed him several times. 
Now it's on ebay.

My suggestion.  he said he would sell it to me for 10K if I came and got it like two days ago.  Just before the ebay listing.
Go there today and just give him 10K and it will be yours.  He relisted it on CL for 14K.  Since he said he would take 10K and the ebay listing is for 9500 it's my opinion that 9500 in his face would walk away with it today.

After better pictures and him actually listing the tags up, it's not that bad of a deal at 10K. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Rich G.

I'd want to know what is missing. Not much info or pictures. Nothing is cheap on a Cuda especially a 71. Probably not many people would want to get involved with something all apart and in this condition. If it was all together probably a different story. I'd bring cash and lay a lot less down on the fender and see what happens. You can always go up if you're willing. Cash is king!

70 Challenger Lover

Good to know on his bottom line. I already started moving money so hopefully I can get cash in my hand by Thursday when I meet him. No bids yet on his ad but that doesn't surprise me. It's not a very good or descriptive ad. I messaged him last night along with my phone number and he called me in less than a minute so he is motivated.

In speaking with him, he seemed like a good guy. Hard core Mopar guy like all of us. We even talked about the idea of me helping him down the road with some metal work on another project of his so off to a good start. Regardless of how it plays out, I'll keep his information since he seems like a good Mopar connection for future needs.

Rich, I agree with you all the way. One of my biggest reasons for seeing it isn't as much the rust as it is to determine what's missing. I'm not afraid of basket cases as long as I know what I'm getting into.

The car is a 383 auto with a column shifter. This must be a more common set up in these Plymouths because I don't recall seeing a lot of column shifters in Challengers. He says it's b5 blue in and out. Hard to read the tag so I'll have to take that on face value. Not sure that seats are in it. I'm kinda hoping it's the split bench bucket style. I like those. Other options don't seem all that unusual.

Crocha617

Looks like B5 with white & black interior and white billboards. The fender tag helps alot. I wouldn't be surprised if someone grabs it now.

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: Crocha617 on March 12, 2019, 01:40:31 PM
Looks like B5 with white & black interior and white billboards. The fender tag helps alot. I wouldn't be surprised if someone grabs it now.

Well if they do, I'll keep an eye out for the next one. I'm not crazy about blue and even less about white accents. I'm already thinking I'd have to convert it to four speed along the way.

Been communicating with the seller and I'm looking forward to meeting him and seeing the car. He's sent a few extra pics. It's definitely a project, that's for sure.

70 Challenger Lover

Does the fender tag show what type of front seat it came with. The seller said there are buckets in the car but I was wondering if a column shifter car might normally be seen with a bench seat

Crocha617

Looks like he raised the price to $11k. I'll have another look at the tag and see if I can tell what seats it came with. That photo is pretty bad.

Crocha617

70 Challenger Lover

Yeah the price keeps bouncing around. No one has put a bid on it so I guess he can modify the starting price as often as he wants. When the ad first started, it was much lower. I'll meet him and go from there

Shoooter

With no bids I could see him taking a low cash offer

Cuda Cody

1971 Cudas are about as cool as it gets.  They are not making any more so hopefully it all works out for you.   :fingerscrossed:

70 Challenger Lover

Just got back from seeing the car. Seller seems a decent guy but I believe he does not appreciate what the car really needs to get it right again. I also believe he thinks he may have come across a winning lottery ticket. The car has good and bad points. I'm not ready for an additional project car just yet so I was able to be fairly objective while inspecting it.

Front end is in decent shape. I didn't see rot at the cowl, inner fenders, or hinge pillars. It appears to have suffered a minor front end crunch. The front frame rails are not as straight as they should be. I'm guessing a few minor pulls will get them right again. One fender is missing and other might as well be missing because the front lip is rolled in badly. The damage is in a bad spot to easily fix. No front header panel or grille. The hood is rotten.

The floor isn't too bad but driver footwell needs a patch and there is rot on both sides at the rear foot wells. Probably easier to replace while floor. Rear foot wells are shot.

70 Challenger Lover

Could not access trunk but the floor is definitely rotted out. Both rear frame rails are rotted out. Decklid is a donor so original must have rotted out a long time ago. Dutchman panel needs to be replaced along with roof skin and rear quarter panel. The donor roof he is including has significant oil canning so it may not be worth using in the end. The rest of the car seemed okay. I've seen worse but this not a project for the faint hearted.

There are some part for the car but most of it is in bad shape, possibly not even useable. The trunk is filled with parts but none of it appears to be Mopar or even worth having for that matter.

I told the guy I didn't want it and that my opinion was the car wasn't worth over $11k and that was only because it was a real 71 Cuda. And that's coming from someone who isn't afraid of metal work. For me to consider this car, I'd have to pick it up at 7k or less which isn't likely to ever happen. Metal costs alone would exceed 4K.

70 Challenger Lover

I should probably add that my opinion on value to me is based on not wanting a blue car, hating white anything on cars, and not digging column shifted automatics (floor shifted autos too for that matter).

The car really does have potential to be very cool and desirable.

The other thing that turned me off was his price fluctuations. eBay ad started at $8500 opening but he quickly changed it to $9500. After we spoke, he changed it to $11k opening. On my way down there, he texted me claiming he just got an offer for 11k and turned it down because he thought it was worth more. I just don't have patience for those kind of tactics.