Previous topic Next topic

mccannix

Alan..really..what is your guess ?

he wanted $7000.00 for the Vette but more for the Hemicuda

anlauto

Quote from: mccannix on May 08, 2020, 07:10:35 AM
Alan..really..what is your guess ?

he wanted $7000.00 for the Vette but more for the Hemicuda

I want to say $10K ? I still remember that day I first met you and saw your humble little garage of cars at that time  :worship: what dreams are made of

I think you sold it for more, if I remember correctly :thinking:  any regrets selling it when you did ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

I'm angry with myself I didn't buy that car. I was wasting time on my 70 HemiCuda at that time. I didn't yet have the concept that it was much better value to buy a good car than fix a junker.
Sheldon

anlauto

I didn't realize Kevin Suydam  had your old car. I met Kevin in 2015 when I restored a 71 V code Cuda for him, GREAT guy...super nice...reminds me of Paul Newman :D  I wonder if he still has your old car ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

mccannix

I paid twice the asking price of the Vette....the car sold for the price in the ad in US $.

Anyone who ever sells a high end car always get asked that 'regret' question....
......for me none whatsoever.

I had my time with it...someone elses time to enjoy it.

Part of the reason is I already had three cars and increased the fleet to 6 with proceeds of that sale.

Cars all around in those days...cant keep them all.

And yes Kevin still has the car.
He really likes it and it is so well documented
...I spoke with him less two weeks ago.

So  you remember those ads from those days as well Sheldon. :drinkingbud:

anlauto

....I'm going to say it again....I love all these old stories ...Thanks RzeroB for starting a thread like this  :bigthumb: ... and Terry :worship:

RzeroB

Thanks for posting Terry!! What a great story ... and contribution to the thread!!  :bravo: 

Member contributions like this are better than anything I could come up with by myself. I hope other members who enjoy (past or present tense) owning one of these supreme machines will be inspired by your story and follow your lead in telling their own story. Once again, well done Terry!!

Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Chryco Psycho

mccannix

Perhaps that will inspire @RUNCHARGER .

Sheldon has owned a few and I'm sure has good stories/memories.

Cudino

Totally agree, awesome memories @mccannix, thanks very much for sharing!

By the way, any chance you still have the old Hemmings ad you mentioned for Walt Downer's car?  If it's the car I'm thinking about it is just as you described but did come with A22 bumpers.  I'd love to have a copy of that ad for my records if it's not too much trouble.

- Wade

JS29

mccannix

Wade
My mistake, yes it did come with rubber bumpers, but he added the billboard.
I have some old grainy pictures of that car, his Canadian Hemi Challenger convert and the Juliano sunroof Challenger when Walt owned them all.
He also had the other Hemi Challenger convert that was painted red at the time...will have to dig those up.
Will look for the ad of his car as well but when looking for my old ad, could not find his.

750-h2

JS29

mccannix

Here's a couple bad pictures I took of some of Walt Downers cars on one of my trips there,.. these about 1992.
The 71 Hemicuda, added billboards and I believe was originally a 450 wheel car that he changed to rallyes.
JS27R0B171594, purchased from original owner Canadian owner Peter Wenham, restored by Randal Gay,... Walt detailing suspension back at his place.
The sunroof 71 Hemi Challenger.
JS27R0B171916 in red, before being restored back to FC7 by next owner.
A ride in one of two factory SS Darts he owned !
He also owned an unrestored black 68 Hemi GTX convertible 4 spd, and at least one 440-6 Cuda convertible.
Walt owned all these cars at the same time, had the largest collection of NOS E-body parts of anyone in the hobby, but has been completely out of the game now for about 15 years.