Main Menu

Thinking new with Dodge announcement ?

Started by Racer57, August 26, 2022, 08:01:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

MEK-Dangerous

Quote from: PLY474 on September 11, 2022, 08:07:34 PM
My wife wants to order a new Challenger.  We went to the dealer on Friday to talk about it.  Sales rep said ordering for the 2022 model is still in process.  We played around with the dealer's order form webpage and learned that Smoke Show Gray has been removed from the color option list.  He said to expect option and price changes as Dodge changes over to the 2023 model.  He, of course, encouraged us to order ASAP.  She and I are currently feeling indecisive whether to order now or wait a few months.  Does anyone know when 2023 ordering starts?  I read online that 2022 ordering ends sometime around October 22nd, and that 2022 production will run through late December of 2022.
Smoke show, Hellraisin, and Indigo blue were all done away with a couple of weeks ago. They will be replaced with Plumb-crazy, Sublime, and B5 blue for the 2023 model year. Typically, early October is when the ordering starts for the next years model. My fear is 2023 being the last of the Challengers, there might be a price hike. I hope I'm wrong there.

PLY474

Thanks E74cuda / MEK-Dangerous.  We test drove a 2022 Black Scat Pack with a stick today and took it home.  There were a few options we didn't get, but my wife wanted to start driving before the weather turned and not wait for an order.  Can't complain about that. 

MEK-Dangerous

Quote from: PLY474 on September 15, 2022, 08:23:15 PM
Thanks E74cuda / MEK-Dangerous.  We test drove a 2022 Black Scat Pack with a stick today and took it home.  There were a few options we didn't get, but my wife wanted to start driving before the weather turned and not wait for an order.  Can't complain about that.

Congratulations!!

Since it's a stick shift, you already have a pretty good anti-theft device.   :D  I hope you really enjoy it.

soundcontrol

Quote from: Racer57 on September 02, 2022, 10:46:55 PM
BACK TO ORIGINAL QUESTION.... Will you or are you tempted to buy a new muscle car while you can ?  :D

Just did, could not get a new one, but a 2015 Hellcat.
I think gas, or some kind of fuel will be available for us for a long time.
EV's, I think the battery production will be evolving, technology is moving so fast, but still, my wife's 11 YO Prius battery is still fine after over 100 000 miles.

E74cuda

Quote from: PLY474 on September 15, 2022, 08:23:15 PM

Good move. You will really enjoy it!

PLY474

Thanks all.  We're enjoying it.  The dealer said it was an ordered car, but they made a mistake and didn't get the harman subwoofer the buyer wanted so they ordered a second car and both cars came in on the same day.  The car was born on 9/1, so not even 3 weeks old.  While hanging around the dealership, the sales guy told us the showroom had several high end cars (a red eye / a jail break) people ordered but didn't end up buying.  They're putting a $10-20k markup over msrp on these cars.  Yikes!

I'm having a hard time keeping my foot out of it during the engine break-in period.  Per the owner's manual, the 1st 100 miles shall be less than 3500rpm and 55mph, 100-300 miles shall be less than 5000rpm and 70mph.  Luckily, there is a "Valet Mode" that de-tunes the engine to less than 160hp (according to the internet).  We thought we'd keep it in the valet mode until after break-in. 

I may do a mind dump for anyone thinking about getting a newer challenger.  I didn't know much about them, but have done a lot of reading over the past 2-3 weeks.  For example, 1-4 skip shift for manuals,  MDS for autos, diff differences for R/Ts, spare tire solutions, etc.   

A picture of the new family member.  Not sure what to do about the yellow valance protectors.  They say "To Be Removed By Dealer" on them.  It's funny how they became a look people like when they were originally intended as a shipping protector.   I do think they complement the black. 

MEK-Dangerous

Quote from: PLY474 on September 18, 2022, 12:28:51 PM
  Not sure what to do about the yellow valance protectors.  They say "To Be Removed By Dealer" on them.  It's funny how they became a look people like when they were originally intended as a shipping protector.   I do think they complement the black.

Those yellow spoiler protectors are a point of contention on ChallengerTalk. Here is why... They should have been removed by the dealer, but most dealers don't. Some people choose to leave them on. The downside of that is, those protectors are abrasive. They will end up scratching the plastic spoiler if you keep them on long enough. The other thing is, these yellow protectors sell on Ebay, so if you want to make a few dollars...

PLY474

Quote from: MEK-Dangerous on September 16, 2022, 10:50:49 AMSince it's a stick shift, you already have a pretty good anti-theft device. 

When I talked to the insurance agent, he said the same thing.  "You got a stick.  Great.  That's anti-theft."  I should have asked for a discount. 

Quote from: MEK-Dangerous on September 19, 2022, 11:23:22 AMThose yellow spoiler protectors are a point of contention on ChallengerTalk.

Thanks!  I'll likely take them off.  Challengertalk is a good forum.  So much to learn about the new muscle. 

PLY474

A question (without an answer) with respect to the world going EV.  Where will all the surplus gasoline go?   Assuming there is no loss of demand for other oil based products (road asphalt, paints, plastics, solvents, jet fuel, diesel, kerosene, etc.), gasoline is still produced from a refined barrel of oil.  According to US DoE it's 47%.  (I recall it's actually less.  I think I remember reading that heavier fuels are "cracked" to make more gasoline for the North America market.)

According to US EIA, " Edwin Drake dug the first crude oil well in Pennsylvania in 1859 and distilled the oil to produce kerosene for lighting. Although other petroleum products, including gasoline, were also produced in the distillation process, Drake had no use for the gasoline and other products, so he discarded them. It wasn't until 1892, with the invention of the automobile, that gasoline was recognized as a valuable fuel."  https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/gasoline/history-of-gasoline.php 

RusTy/SE

Quote from: Racer57 on September 02, 2022, 10:46:55 PM
BACK TO ORIGINAL QUESTION.... Will you or are you tempted to buy a new muscle car while you can? :D

@Racer 57 My short answer is yes, I did buy a new muscle car while I can, though not brand new. If you can buy new, then by all means, I support the choice to do so - they are incredible machines.

The pictures are from May 2021, day of purchase.
JS29U0B

There are no traffic jams along the extra mile - Roger Staubach

PLY474

Last Call Opened Up for 2023 Models.  https://www.dodgegarage.com/horsepower-locator 
https://www.dodgegarage.com/news/article/press-room/2022/10/dodge-dials-up-last-call-horsepower-locator-opens-orders-and-announces-pricing-for-2023-dodge-challenger-and-dodge-charger.html

I'm glad we got a 2022.  My 2 local dealerships were allocated 4 Scat Packs each.  We might have gotten one, then again we might not have got one.  I'd rather have played it safe. 

From the website:

Dodge Dials Up 'Last Call' Horsepower Locator, Opens Orders and Announces Pricing for 2023 Dodge Challenger and Dodge Charger
By DodgeGarage 15 hours ago Press Room 3 min read
ChallengerChargerNever Lift

Ordering is now open for the 2023 Dodge Challenger and Dodge Charger. Dodge is also launching a new Horsepower Locator online tool to help Brotherhood of Muscle members make the "Last Call" for the model of their choice as the brand marks the end of the two iconic vehicles in their current forms.

Nearly all 2023 Dodge Challenger and Dodge Charger models — from the entry-level SXT to the SRT® Jailbreak, from automatic to manual transmission vehicles — have been allocated to Dodge dealerships. The new Dodge Horsepower Locator, available at DodgeGarage.com, allows enthusiasts to easily search all Dodge dealerships by zip code, model, special-edition model and trim level for Dodge Challenger and Charger vehicle order availability.

"Dodge has been building special-edition muscle cars for the last decade, and we have yet to find an allocation methodology that satisfies everyone. Our new 'Last Call' Horsepower Locator isn't going to satisfy everyone either, but it's our attempt to take the mystery out of it," said Tim Kuniskis, Dodge brand chief executive officer – Stellantis. "We're making the process as transparent as possible, giving enthusiasts the power to search for each 2023 model and trim level allocated to each dealer. Our enthusiasts will have every opportunity to locate the Dodge 'Last Call' model they desire."

The new Dodge Horsepower Locator is based on dealership allocations — not dealership inventory. The tool will simply help customers find a Dodge "Last Call" model by providing information on vehicles still available for ordering through a dealer. For Dodge Challenger and Charger models that are on a dealership lot or in transit to a dealer, customers will still be able to view these through the Search New Inventory function on Dodge.com.

The Dodge Horsepower Locator will be updated daily Monday through Friday during the first few months of vehicle ordering, providing customers nearly real-time access to the most current list of vehicles still available for ordering at dealerships. As 2023 vehicle orders are processed by dealers, the corresponding drop in available vehicle allocation will be updated on the Horsepower Locator, keeping enthusiasts up to speed on exactly how many of each model and trim level remain available for ordering.

When customers order from a dealer with allocation for the model they chose, the order will be confirmed within 30 days of placement via email, informing customers they have secured a coveted 2023 Dodge "Last Call" model. Customers will continue to receive email communication from Dodge along the way, providing tracking updates on the vehicle's production status.

Sure to be sought-after special-edition 2023 Dodge "Last Call" models — the Dodge Challenger Shakedown, Dodge Charger Super Bee, Dodge Challenger and Charger Scat Pack Swinger, Dodge Charger King Daytona and Dodge Challenger Black Ghost — will also be searchable via the Dodge Horsepower Locator. The seventh and final special-edition "Last Call" model will be announced at a later date.

Dodge special-edition "Last Call" models will be awarded to the 500 top volume dealerships in Challenger and Charger sales. The top 200 dealers will receive 12 special-edition models, dealers #201-300 in sales will receive 10 special-edition models, and dealers in the #301-500 range will receive six special-edition models. Each special-edition 2023 Dodge "Last Call" model will arrive pre-configured. Orders for special-edition "Last Call" models must be placed by contacting dealers with inventory of the desired special-edition vehicle.
"Last Call" Highlights

All 2023 Dodge Charger and Challenger models will carry a special commemorative "Last Call" underhood plaque, making every 2023 Charger and Challenger especially desirable. The brushed aluminum underhood "Last Call" plaque features the vehicle name and a vehicle silhouette, as well as "Designed in Auburn Hills" and "Assembled in Brampton" to proclaim each vehicle's origin.

The brand is also expanding the reach of its popular SRT Jailbreak models, which were introduced earlier this year for the Dodge Charger and Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye Widebody, unlocking color combination ordering restrictions and exclusive content. For 2023 model year, all Challenger and Charger SRT vehicles (excluding "Last Call" special-edition models and the Challenger SRT Super Stock) will be designated Jailbreak models, including the 717-horsepower Challenger and Charger SRT Hellcat, allowing all SRT Hellcat and SRT Hellcat Redeye owners the option of building their own one-of-a-kind muscle car.

Dodge brand will also celebrate its 2023 model lineup by bringing back three beloved heritage exterior colors: B5 Blue, Plum Crazy purple and Sublime green. One popular modern color, Destroyer Grey, also returns to the fold. Charger and Challenger will each offer 14 total 2023 exterior color options. 2023 Charger and Challenger R/T models will also feature new "345" fender badging, a callout to the 345-cubic-inch HEMI® engine under the hood.
Dodge "Last Call" Pricing

Dodge is also announcing pricing for its entire 2023 Dodge Challenger and Charger lineup, including pricing for the first six Dodge "Last Call" special-edition models. U.S. manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) for the 2023 lineup excludes $1,595 destination and fees.