Main Menu

What did you do with your ebody/Mopar today?

Started by Brads70, March 21, 2017, 03:19:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

Yesterday I installed new plugs , those 2 under the headers on the passenger  are a real treat!
( 451 BB)  I'll have to jet the carb richer due to ethanol in the fuel now, can't get ethanol free fuel here anymore. It's running a little too lean for my liking on the air fuel gauge....  :thumbdown:

soundcontrol

Stackin' my Mopars. Hopefully these won't be future barnfinds  :o
I do get twice the space here as soon as I can tear down the wall with the big window, problem is that I have a lot of
studio gear in there that I need to sell first, (second picture) and no one is buying right now.

Barracuda1

Nice studio.  That is my line of work, Broadcast Systems Integrator.

Mike

Rdchallenger

This past weekend I once and for all figured out a solution to the Mopar Performance aluminum valve cover/ grommet/ breather problem.

Shaved down the hole with a mini adjustable belt sander so it was more the width of the NOS steel ones. Popped a new grommet in and able lost a finger when the breather seated. Haha!

jimynick

Managing to ignore all the other things I should've been doing, I checked the oil in the old girl and backed it out for a run over to the gas station; the Challenger and the gas station owner are on a first name basis. Ran 'er down the 401 a couple of miles and a thrilling trip to the grocery store to top off an enjoyable afternoon. Looking at the dust the old gal has collected, a wash is in her future. The weather is unbelievable- blue sky and about 75f.  :bigthumb:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

chargerdon

Little things mean a lot...When i first bought the 74 Challenger in 2015 my grandson was only four and summer he would stay with us during the day, and he would watch me working on the Challenger and hand me tools...and go to the part store with me.   It was an old store with the swivel stools in front of the counter and he would sit on it and spin.   Then id always let him pick out a hot wheels car from their stand.   After that we would stop at "Sunny Skies" the local home made ice cream store.

Now he is 12 and the restoration of the 74 Challenger with its 408 stroker and loud Flowmaster 40 mufflers is finished.  He loves the Challenger and now that he is 12 he is allowed to sit on the front seat (NC laws says children under 12 must ride in the back seats).   So fired up the 74 Challenger and took him for a ride...once it warmed up did a couple of full throttle hits for a few seconds...   man the smile on his face.  Then we stopped at Sunny Skies for an ice cream before coming home.   Sigh...    He says to me remember when you used to take me to the parts store?   And...only 4 more years till i can drive her !!!   

Life is good !!

Mark_B

New HT leads on my car and tuned the Holley.  Driving better than ever.

Dmod1974

It may not look like much, but I'm building a kinda sorta mini BCM for my Challenger using an Arduino Uno R3 with a Seeed CANBUS Shield to control my reverse lockout (and delete the SST standalone box), A/C compressor control, Tach output signal, and control the factory Hellcat BLDC cooling fan.

I built it and all of the add on circuits/protection already, and am about 80% done writing the code for it.  I just have some final tweaking to do on the vehicle speed based cooling fan lockout and the A/C compressor RPM/TPS lockouts to put some hysteresis in them.  This is my first time coding in C++, but I'm managing so far.  Everything else is working great!

I already did a bunch of CAN sniffing to ID and decode the appropriate messages already being sent across the CANBUS to make it all work, and last night I did a bunch of testing and PuTTY logging at idle and while driving to make sure things work as expected.

I'm going this route for a few reasons:

- There isn't a decent or affordable option to control the factory Hellcat fan to cycle it off of ECT and with A/C, and I still want my fan override switch to work.  It'll also disable the fan above say 40MPH and not turn it on KOEO unless the manual switch is on.  I also am wiring up an ambient air temp sensor use as an input to vary the fan speed during A/C operation depending on how hot it is outside.

- Because the Hellcat PCM has no idea when the A/C is on with an aftermarket setup like my Vintage Air, there are no compressor protection functions to lockout from WOT or high RPM.  I've already forgotten to turn it off before pulls a few times! 

- The Dakota Digital BIM module does a great job using CAN data to control all of the gauges, but it needs to be disconnected to datalog with any tuner device since there can't be 2 conflicting polling devices on at the same time.  That means my tach goes inop and it is damn near impossible to make a good pull while datalogging without hitting fuel cut constantly.  This device will be passive on the datalink and it will send a modulated signal to the gauge modules hardwired tach input so it'll still work even when I'm datalogging.

- While I'm at it, I figured I'd have this control the reverse lockout solenoid so I can get rid of the SST module and save some space.

I'm upgrading the fan along with a bunch of other upgrades this winter, but the clock is ticking since it won't be long before the weather turns and I can't drive it to do validation testing.  I'm hoping to wrap that up well before that though.  My current fan setup works fine, but I like the idea of upgrading to a modern brushless fan and eliminating a bunch of relays and solenoid failure points.

YellowThumper

Quote from: Dmod1974 on October 05, 2023, 04:33:25 PM
It may not look like much, but I'm building a kinda sorta mini BCM for my Challenger using an Arduino Uno R3 with a Seeed CANBUS Shield to control my reverse lockout (and delete the SST standalone box), A/C compressor control, Tach output signal, and control the factory Hellcat BLDC cooling fan.

I built it and all of the add on circuits/protection already, and am about 80% done writing the code for it.  I just have some final tweaking to do on the vehicle speed based cooling fan lockout and the A/C compressor RPM/TPS lockouts to put some hysteresis in them.  This is my first time coding in C++, but I'm managing so far.  Everything else is working great!

I already did a bunch of CAN sniffing to ID and decode the appropriate messages already being sent across the CANBUS to make it all work, and last night I did a bunch of testing and PuTTY logging at idle and while driving to make sure things work as expected.

- There isn't a decent or affordable option to control the factory Hellcat fan to cycle it off of ECT and with A/C, and I still want my fan override switch to work.  It'll also disable the fan above say 40MPH and not turn it on KOEO unless the manual switch is on.  I also am wiring up an ambient air temp sensor use as an input to vary the fan speed during A/C operation depending on how hot it is outside.

- Because the Hellcat PCM has no idea when the A/C is on with an aftermarket setup like my Vintage Air, there are no compressor protection functions to lockout from WOT or high RPM.  I've already forgotten to turn it off before pulls a few times! 

- The Dakota Digital BIM module does a great job using CAN data to control all of the gauges, but it needs to be disconnected to datalog with any tuner device since there can't be 2 conflicting polling devices on at the same time.  That means my tach goes inop and it is damn near impossible to make a good pull while datalogging without hitting fuel cut constantly.  This device will be passive on the datalink and it will send a modulated signal to the gauge modules hardwired tach input so it'll still work even when I'm datalogging.

- While I'm at it, I figured I'd have this control the reverse lockout solenoid so I can get rid of the SST module and save some space.

I'm upgrading the fan along with a bunch of other upgrades this winter, but the clock is ticking since it won't be long before the weather turns and I can't drive it to do validation testing.  I'm hoping to wrap that up well before that though.  My current fan setup works fine, but I like the idea of upgrading to a modern brushless fan and eliminating a bunch of relays and solenoid failure points.

All make sense but does remain above my pay grade.
Definitely would be nice having the cutoff capabilities for WOT. Recently finished another car project with Vintage air on it and promptly blew the seal out of its compressor with a high rpm hit.
Whoop...
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

YellowThumper

Welded on headers and hot side piping, fixed a pinhole in the MIG handle coolant line, then repaired a blowout in MIG handle coolant line. Found I had a plugged line.
When repairing that I found the unit's power cord was cracked and rotten.
Tried welding in short spurts to let handle cool in between.
Ran out of argon..... :pullinghair:

Said a plethora of curse words, threw everything back into garage, closed door and had a beer.

Mike.

soundcontrol

Understanding all this computer stuff is the key to all modern engines, I wish I did. Since I'm gonna use computer controlled engines in all my Mopars, I really wanna learn. Whats a good place to start? I'm educated in electronics, (40 years ago), computers just arrived then and we got some insight in binary and hex, but thats all.

Dmod1974

Quote from: soundcontrol on October 08, 2023, 04:30:27 AM

Understanding all this computer stuff is the key to all modern engines, I wish I did. Since I'm gonna use computer controlled engines in all my Mopars, I really wanna learn. Whats a good place to start? I'm educated in electronics, (40 years ago), computers just arrived then and we got some insight in binary and hex, but thats all.

Go to the actual Arduino website.  Tons and tons of information and forum knowledge there, on other forums, on YouTube, etc....  If you've never done anything like this before (I hadn't either) the learning curve is very steep!  I've built and repaired electronics for a long time so I'm definitely more of a hardware guy, and I've done OEM calibration as well, but coding is a different animal altogether.  Trying to put operations and logic into code is completely different than the calibration work I've done.  But hey, I'm just about done and all of about $100 into the project so it's possible!

soundcontrol

Quote from: Dmod1974 on October 08, 2023, 10:19:42 AM
Go to the actual Arduino website.  Tons and tons of information and forum knowledge there, on other forums, on YouTube, etc....  If you've never done anything like this before (I hadn't either) the learning curve is very steep!  I've built and repaired electronics for a long time so I'm definitely more of a hardware guy, and I've done OEM calibration as well, but coding is a different animal altogether.  Trying to put operations and logic into code is completely different than the calibration work I've done.  But hey, I'm just about done and all of about $100 into the project so it's possible!

Great! A place to start. I will definitely do this. Not that I wanna write tons of code, but I need to know how things work. Nothing is magic and if you break everything down to small steps, most task become pretty easy :)
Thanks so much!

YellowThumper

Quote from: soundcontrol on October 08, 2023, 03:30:02 PM
Quote from: Dmod1974 on October 08, 2023, 10:19:42 AM

Great! A place to start. I will definitely do this. Not that I wanna write tons of code, but I need to know how things work. Nothing is magic and if you break everything down to small steps, most task become pretty easy :)
Thanks so much!

I've entertained myself with this guy's vids in lieu of actually touching one.

Mike.

Rdchallenger