Main Menu

727 Auto to 833 4 Speed Conversion

Started by 303 Mopar, April 10, 2017, 01:59:52 PM

Previous topic Next topic

303 Mopar

I really really want a 4 speed in my '70 Cuda that currently has a 727 full manual auto with a 392 Hemi.  The conversion to a manual is the same, just some specific parts for this engine compared to other SB and BB like the flywheel, bearing, etc. I'm still on the list for a Passon 5 speed (starting year 3) and couldn't wait any longer so I am installing a Passon 4 speed OD.  I thought I would start this thread and include a bunch of pictures and steps to help anyone else who would like to do this conversion.  I hope to be done in 3-4 days of working on it part time.

Here are the parts needed:
1970 E Body Pedal Assembly
1 E Body Pedal Rod
1 Firewall Boot
1 Z Bar
1 66 UP B/ E Frame Bracket
1 BB Z Bar Service Kit B/ E Body
1 Clutch Adjuster Rod Kit
1 Reconditioned 482 Bell
1 10.5" BB Inspection Cover
1 Reverse Indicator Wire Harness
1 Clutch Fork
1 Fork Boot
1 130 Tooth 5.7/6.1 Flywheel (this is specific to the 392 Hemi so you will have to order one to fit your engine block)
1 Late Hemi Flywheel Bolt Package (this is specific to the 392 Hemi so you will have to order one to fit your engine block)
1 500 Series RAM Clutch Package 18 Spline (this is specific to the 392 Hemi so you will have to order one to fit your engine block)
1 E Body Shifter Mount Plate with Bolts
1 New E Body HURST Shifter Mechanism 7180
1 SB Starter Shield
1 Reverse Dash Indicator
1 Reproduction E Body PG Shifter Handle
1 E Body 1970 Shifter Linkage Complete
1 E Body Trans Mount
1 E Body Shifter Boot T
1 E Body Trim Ring
1 E Body Floor Hump
1 4 Speed Reverse Light Harness
1 Pilot Bearing
1 Cuda Black 4 Speed Carpet Set
1 E Body 18 Spline OD A-833, Ball and Detent Sidecover, PP 1639 (Passon 833 4 spd OD)
1 Bolt Set
80 W 90 NON Synthetic gear lube

Cuda Cody

Excited to watch this thread.   :lookatthat:  Should be really good.

soundcontrol

Same here, looking for a a833 for my 5.7 Hemi in a -73 Challenger. Following.

Roadman

Just curious if you considered a hydraulic setup to eliminate all that clutch linkage.   :rebelflag"

Blake@diyhemi.com

Let me know if you need any part numbers. It's a fun swap, good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

303 Mopar

Update Day 1 - Inventoried all parts received, removed old brake pedal, center console, carpet and exhaust. I installed new pedals and bracket with sound deadened on doors. It's been slower than planned due to some issues requiring me to re-route the heater control cables, speaker wire, battery positive cable (battery is in the trunk) and fan positive wire. I also have an after-market washer pump button installed by the PO to deal with. I knew installing the pedals was going to be the hardest part so I took it on first.

Cuda Cody

What are you doing for the clutch safety switch?

71GranCoupe

303 Mopar

Quote from: Cuda Cody on April 12, 2017, 10:42:20 AM

The kit from Passon did not include one, so I'm going to run it without the switch for now and install one later.  Let me know if you have an extra one @Cuda Cody.

Cuda Cody

I was hoping you were going to tell me where I could get one!   :bigthumb:

Quote from: 303 Mopar on April 12, 2017, 11:06:45 AM

The kit from Passon did not include one, so I'm going to run it without the switch for now and install one later.  Let me know if you have an extra one @Cuda Cody.

303 Mopar

Quote from: Cuda Cody on April 12, 2017, 11:11:12 AM

LOL - Brewers has them but they are pricey - http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CS2947858

71GranCoupe

Quote from: 303 Mopar on April 12, 2017, 11:12:21 AM
Quote from: Cuda Cody on April 12, 2017, 11:11:12 AM

LOL - Brewers has them but they are pricey - http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CS2947858

Actually, the price is not out of sight, the big hangup though, is having a core. That is the hard part for many.  :dunno:

soundcontrol

I have not started looking for parts yet, how much cash can I expect to spend on a used a833 setup? I have the pedals already, noting else.

Cuda Cody

Finding the cores is the issue for me too.   :crying:

Challenger in NC

What is the difference between a 70 safety switch and the 71-74 version?