Main Menu

Lets Get Personal .....

Started by anlauto, January 12, 2017, 08:51:02 AM

Previous topic Next topic

captcolour

My name is Bruce.  Born and raised in Troy, NY.  Chemical Engineer from RPI.  Global color technology manager for a major engineering plastics company.  I'll be 60 in 2018 and will likely retire in 2 years.  Been married 32 years, have a daughter and son, and a grand son and grand daughter.  Cancer survivor 6 years this month.

First car was a 1965 Dodge Coronet in 1976.  Second car was a '74 Gold Duster.  Painted it black, dyed the vinyl roof black, had fender flares made and put N50-14's on the rear.  My buddy had a '72 Dart also painted black.  Nothing cool after that until that same buddy and I got the bug about 7 years ago.  Went to my first Mecum auction with him in Indy.  Didn't buy anything but 2 months later he finds a '71 Challenger survivor in Vermont.  I was torn between a 'cuda or Challenger.  One of my business trips to Detroit went to the Chrysler Museum when it was open to the public.  In Walt's garage in the basement, there was a '70 cuda' nose-to-nose to a '70 Challenger.  That decided it for me -- liked the stance of the 'cuda better.  Found a 70 'cuda on Craigslist in SF area and bought, and have enjoyed it ever since.  Since she was a '70 from the SF bay area, named her Gracie after Grace Slick of Jefferson Airplane.

As we get ready for retirement, instead of downsizing, went from a 1/3 acre sub-division lot to buying 41 acres where we would build our retirement house.  First thing I had built was a 40x60 pole barn with a 10' porch and 10x30 shed on the front to house Gracie.  Designed the house myself and worked with a local custom builder.  2,400 sq.ft ranch with full basement.  All 36" interior doors and one handicap access shower just planning ahead.

For my retirement project, decided I wanted a '69 Roadrunner to restore.  Figured I would buy on close to retirement (2018/2020).  But of course, at 2016 Carlisle, saw a Roadrunner that was an interesting buy.  Since I wasn't really wanting to buy, hadn't researched prices or availability.  Back at the hotel that night, did some searching on Craigslist and eBay.  Don't I find on eBay a '69 Roadrunner, 383 4 spd, numbers matching, fully complete, fully documented with bill of sale, window sticker, fender tag, located in Burlington, KY (20 minutes from my house back home!).  Contact the seller through eBay, tell him I'm very interested, but won't be back in KY until Thursday (auction ends Tuesday).  He sends his phone number, talk to him, he's not the owner but selling for an older guy he met at a car show that doesn't do eBay.  They put the reserve at $20K, so no risk that the car would sell.  Just feeling out the value.  Told him I would be there Thursday to look at it.  Ask the guy what he does.  Other than restoring Mopars (doing his 2nd '68 Superbee), he is the building inspector for he county.  Asked him if he knew that new house on 41 acres that my builder built.  He did and was one of the inspectors!  Small world.  Had to buy the RR.  Will sit until I retire.  She was originally from a dealership in Flint, MI, so named her Gladys of Gladys Knight and the Pips.

Some pics to follow including the grand kids and Toby the poodle:

Spikedog08

Sweet story!  Home looks beautiful! And nice collection of bass guitars!  Glad you shared your story and hope retirement treats you well! 

:twothumbsup:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

blown motor

Thanks for the story. Small world indeed!
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

jimynick

Boy, am I ever jealous! LOL You've got it all happening, so good luck with the restorations and congrats on some nice cars, too!  :wave:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Plumcrazzy

OK guys here goes. Name is Bill. Wife is Barbara. Both born in the first half of the last century (gosh, that sounds awful). Native West Virginians. High school sweethearts and still in love today. Started college after high school until Uncle Sam called. Got married. Moved to Richmond, Va. for a job. Came back to WV when another job was available. Worked for the Power Company at their newest generation facility for 36 years. Was an Outage Coordinator responsible for hundreds of contract folks doing the repair/maintenance work. Retired in 2008. Have one grown daughter and am very proud of her. Honor student at West Virginia Weslyan. Got her Executive Business MBA from WVU and she and her husband now own the Miracle Ear franchise from Southern WV to South Western Pa. Have one three year old Grand Daughter and another little lady due this coming March.
First car was a '58 Volkswagen. Painted it bright Orange--J.C. Whitney provided some spray dye for the door panels and some Walnut dash knobs. So cool. I even reversed the rear wheels to present a wider stance. Tires stuck out under the wheel well opening and would rub the lip just enought to "chirp" when you banged the gear just right. Cold as he!! in the winter. Had a long handled scraper to clear the windshield (inside and out). Vacuum wipers you know. First real car was a 1968 Firebird--green with pale green vinyl top--white inerior--350 2bbl--floor shifted power glide. Wife got hit--totaled. Next was a '70 1/2 Z-28--loved that car. Gas crunch--traded for a Datsun pickup--YES, I KNOW!!!! Saw "The California Kid" and started my search for a '34 Ford. Seven years later I drove my Red '34 with Gold Ghost flames to my first cruise. 350 SB -350 Turbo - 10 bolt posi. Next was a '37 Chevy 2-dr sedan made in the traditional Street Rod fashion. Next was my '70 Challenger 440 Six-Pack. Acquired as a basket case with fender tag and Build Sheet. Original FC7 but had been painted some dumb brown color. Stripped to bare metal and restored to as original condition as I could. Sold it last Fall to a guy who had more money than sense and went out a bought a 2017 Challenger R/T Scatpack, Shaker in Green Go ( I will always refer to this color as Sublime--I don't care what you say!!). Spend my spare time cutting firewood, wood working and running my equipment on my property. New Holland LX 485 Skid Steer, 1150C Case Track Loader, Kubota B7610 Tractor and my Mahindra Max 24 Backhoe. Thanks for the opportunity to share my life with like minded people. 

Spikedog08

Great story Bill!  Sounds like you have owed some cool cars!  Hope life is treating you well!   :wave:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

ZEN357

You have to watch what you post because the government keeps attrack of everything you do, say, and own.

MEK-Dangerous

Quote from: ZEN357 on April 10, 2018, 04:30:39 AM
You have to watch what you post because the government keeps attrack of everything you do, say, and own.

I hope so because they are going to be pretty freakin' bored watching me.   

Timbbuc2

Hello everyone, by this time you know me or seen my post. I just wanted to say that my granddaughter will turn 1 next month, AND guess what????? My son just informed me yesterday that I will be a grandpa again.  :woohoo:
But my name is Tim , married my high school sweet heart in 1976, Been in the textile industry all my life making elastic. Its the kind of job no one ever thinks about but darn glad someone does it.( Holds up your drawers) I am a Technical Manager, and since 2008 I have worked all over the world, training setting up plants and doing plant evaluations . Not the most elaborate job in the world  but it fed the family and allowed me to buy my ebody.
Soon I am going to be posting a video of the type of machines I work with, and I am designing a program where the machine will weave the side view of a ebody. Just something I wanted to do. Just imagine 500 separate ends of yarn moving all at one time and a computer program to weave in any name or figure you desire. Will post pictures later.
Tim
Get in, I'll drive

Congrats on the grandkids Tim.
I still can't figure out how those weaving machines work getting colors in the right place and not unraveling. , have watch How it Works and all,l.
Please post , would be interesting to see the machine in action.

RUNCHARGER

Really interesting stories. We go through our lives doing a lot of the same stuff everyday not thinking anything of it. However other people are doing different stuff but with the same goals in mind.
Sheldon

anlauto

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on April 19, 2018, 07:25:17 PM
Really interesting stories. We go through our lives doing a lot of the same stuff everyday not thinking anything of it. However other people are doing different stuff but with the same goals in mind.

Yea like when my goal is to make it rich. so I work hard everyday, when other people with the same goal, just rob a bank ! :veryexcited:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Alan: You get to my age and your only goal is to live to get up the next day.
Sheldon

ZEN357

Very funny!!! Love the story!!!

Chryco Psycho

Page 13 seems appropriate
Well lets see if I can keep some sort of positive spin on this ....
I am 58 married once at 50 / separated 4.5 years later, devastating mistake  :Thud:
I was born with a Snap On wrench in my hand
My passion is cars / Mopars , I have owned over 100 Mopars now
I love music but cannot play , I have other interests but nothing seems to stick .
Just building & racing cars . All I have done is study & practice building engines & cars the best i can , I am obsessed with performance , nothing can be left stock even if it looks that way .
My life has been committed to building cars for people & will continue to be my commitment as long as I live .
I have no kids or family other than my adopted family of Mopar people !
I moved to Panama 7+ years ago as I could not afford both rent & food in Canaduh .
I am wiped out financially for the 5th time in my life right now & I am  not even trying to rebuild this time . No goals left .
I own a 06 Caravan & a 06 Cummins for work & my Chall is safe , tools & clothes , nothing else .
My quality of life is only about 1000x better here in Panama & I appreciate every day here & good food is affordable .
There are maybe 12 Mopar Muscle cars in all of Panama if you include a 318 Coronet & a slant 6 Demon , so nothing to work on .
I have my health & friends & Christ what more do I need ?
Pucture Shot by my Friend Melanie last year at Carlisle