Main Menu

71 'Cuda restoration

Started by Tunis, March 28, 2017, 04:24:52 AM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

Nice work and really good progress. It's always great to see another one saved.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Awesome job , looking great & yeah I would add the connectors also  :bigthumb:

nsmall

I love it when someone goes all out.  That last page was inspiring.  Im literally closing my computer to go get at it in the garage right now.  Thanks for the update.  Im glad you got the wife involved.

Tunis

Thanks guys! @nsmall, yes the garage was pretty much filled to the brim when the rotisserie was in there. The downside to that is that everything is now a pink tone due to overspray  :tired: But as long as the car is progressing I can live with some extra cleaning of stuff later.

When I disassembled the car I noticed that about 60% of the fasteners were present. Where the rest has gone is a mystery. Anyhow, I have now slowly started to put front fenders, hood, header panel and latch support back. Now I need to find these screws, I only need one, but will buy them both if I have to. But where to get them?

I also need one of the nuts that hold the latch support to the radiator support. Where do I get that?

Thanks!

usraptor

Great progress since I lasted checked in!  :twothumbsup:  Mega parts (https://www.megapartsusa.com) might have the bolt you need.  They seem to have everything I've ever needed. Good luck.

Tunis

Long time since I updated this thread. I will post much more when I get it back from paint, which will be a few months from now, if nothing unforeseen happens.

I need some urgent help now though. I am drilling holes in the quarter panel where the studs for the vinyl trim goes and I don't have the location for where the bolt goes. I mean the trim fastener that is in front on both sides. I noticed a hole there on the original quarters but I didn't take note of where it goes. The kit that I have, has two "bolts" with a small wire at the top that I think goes in the front and a bunch of plastic clips that attaches to the studs. There are two different types of plastic clips, most of the rectangular and some square ones which I think are locked with some plastic rods also provided in the kit.

If I can get some tips on where to place the rest of the studs that would be awesome. Also if someone has a picture of where each of these plastic clips goes that would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Per

anlauto

I WOULD NOT use the 1971 style plastic clips, you'll have nothing but problems with them. I use the 1970 style metal clips with nuts.  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Tunis

Thanks Alan! So instead of the studs I would drill holes as all of the clips then are the bolt style, correct?

anlauto

Quote from: Tunis on April 16, 2018, 04:15:12 AM
Thanks Alan! So instead of the studs I would drill holes as all of the clips then are the bolt style, correct?

Yes. Just lay the trim on the car in the position where you want it, lining up the ends with the drip rail moldings, then just mark the car and drill away..
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Tunis

larry4406

Any pictures of the 1970 style vinyl top trim studs?  How does one seal all of the drilled holes?  I was thinking the welded pin style was better with no holes but one would need a stud welder.

anlauto

I just use black dum dum strip caulk around each clip stud. If you/re still worried, you can put silicone around each nut on the inside as well. :dunno:

Tunis

@larry4406 I bought these yesterday, I hope they are the ones I need or I will have yet another small bag of parts I don't need anymore...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/70-71-72-73-74-Dodge-Challenger-Plymouth-Cuda-vinyl-top-moulding-clips-Mopar/372063703429?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I plan to put some seam sealer on the fasteners and make sure it covers the hole and is covered under the trim.

Per

anlauto

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

Wonder why they say the clips will not fit on the SE cars.  The vinyl moulding for the tops should be the same.......right??