Main Menu

71 'Cuda restoration

Started by Tunis, March 28, 2017, 04:24:52 AM

Previous topic Next topic

larry4406

Excellent work!  Quite disheartening the amount of tweaking needed on the replacement panels.

anlauto

That's what I was thinking, But I've never seen my metal guy, Keith Sim, have to do that much extra work.  :huh:

Makes me wonder if this Cuda isn't square or it's been tweaked ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Tunis

Thanks guys! As far as I can tell, the Cuda is square. The replacement panels have been off spec compared to the panels that were on the car. But this isn't my area off expertise, so what do I know..  :dunno:

If it usually takes less work than this, I will be done by now when I build another car  :clapping:

Tunis

Finally time for another update. I don't have a lot of photos this time, but here you go.

Test fitted rear panel and rear valance.

The quarters didn't really line up well with the deck lid, so I had to cut and weld some more...

Very time consuming welds..

Finally done.

Time to grind

I know, the deck lid need to come over a little to the right. Final mounting of the rear panel before welding to see if everything fits including the rear bumper.

I then modified some more before welding in the rear panel and finish welded the quarters to the trunk extensions and wheel housing on both sides.

Photos from today when I test mounted lights in the rear, license plate and side markers. Also drilled the holes for the rear trim. That's it for now. Starting to be finished in the rear so I can move over to the floor pan repairs.

Per

Cuda Cody

Looks really good.  Nice welds.   :twothumbsup:

When you test fit the deck lid make sure to have your hinge springs on and open and close it several times.  The springs can change where it wants to sit and how the edges line up.

Tunis

Thanks Cody!  :)

I actually had the spring in it every time I put the deck lid on. I thought it was easier to handle then and I noticed that the spring wants to push the lid towards the left.

Per

Cuda Cody

When you do the final prep for paint you'll also want the trunk seal in place.  You'll find the seal will raise the lid up a lot.  I find is best to use some double sided tape and put it in during all the metal and body work.   :alan2cents:

Rubber seals for the doors should be in place too.  That includes the little pieces at the end too.

Tunis

Thanks buddy!  :bradsthumb: I will do what you say before hitting it with primer. Now I just need to find the seals... Where did I put them.. :thinking: I planned to organize everything when the car was being painted.

So when the seals go in, the deck lid sits a little higher, correct? Should I fix that by lowering the metal where the seal attaches?

Thanks!

RUNCHARGER

It's looking. your gaps and fitment looks good in the photos.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

Put the trunk seal in and see where everything sits.  You might be able to adjust everything with the latch and get it to fit good.  But don't want until it's painted to find out if it's going to work.   :alan2cents:  You are doing everything right so no reasons not to make it perfect.   :bigthumb:

Quote from: Tunis on July 02, 2017, 11:21:09 PM

So when the seals go in, the deck lid sits a little higher, correct? Should I fix that by lowering the metal where the seal attaches?

Thanks!

usraptor

Been a while since I checked on your progress.  All I've got to say is you've got some mad fabrication skills! :bravo: :worship:  You attention to detail is outstanding!   :twothumbsup:

Chryco Psycho

Tunis

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the high praise I get! :) I have slowed down a bit now. Got to fix a previous crash that has pushed the torsion bar cross member back about 3/8". So now I have to drill out the welds and push it forwards. Wish I had fixed this before I started putting panels back onto the car, but hey live and learn.. The good news is that it is straight in the rear. But this set back took most of my go-juice and the last days of the vacation is approaching fast. Will update as soon as I have more interesting info.

Per

Tunis

I'm currently fabricating my subframe connectors and have arrived in the process were I installed the e-brake cables. Are the cables supposed to rub against the rear foot wells?

Cuda Cody

Yes, from where the cable leaves the front frame rail to when it goes in the curved bracket there is a small section of the lowest point in the floor board that can rub or touch slightly.

Quote from: Tunis on August 25, 2017, 09:55:15 AM
I'm currently fabricating my subframe connectors and have arrived in the process were I installed the e-brake cables. Are the cables supposed to rub against the rear foot wells?