Main Menu

74 Cuda resto Mod/Pro Touring Build.

Started by kjwalters, April 22, 2017, 05:23:05 AM

Previous topic Next topic

kjwalters

Yes, Kim is doing my Wiper motor for me. They know there stuff.

kjwalters

Seems like the wiring never ends. But I am learning allot, and that's pretty awesome. I cant say enough about the customer service at American Autowire and Hotwire Auto. They are very patient. The last couple of days I have been working on the dash and getting the Gauges in and all the other controls. This looked like a bunch of spaghetti before the 75+ zip ties and routing them all were then needed to go. Here is a pic of the rear of the dash, just about done and ready to install.

Roadman

6bblgt

most if not all wiper CRANK & LINKS have the part number stamped into them

wiper CRANK - bolts to wiper motor
wiper DRIVE LINK - connects wiper motor crank to pivot
wiper PIVOT LINK - connects pivot to pivot

'70 3-speed = 289, 291, 293
'73 3-speed = 518, 291, 514

kjwalters

Took some time off wiring to install the carpet. Some of the center wiring runs through the console so it needs to come through the carpet to be accessible; so I thought I might as well get the carpet in and the center wiring done. Turned out pretty good, it's still settling in and once I get the seats mounted it will sit as it should.

kjwalters

Finally got the console done this weekend. I had Juan's interior guy cover it for me since I dont have an industrial sewing machine. I think it turned out really nice. It was covered in Black Madrid pattern vinyl which closely matches the dash color and pattern.  As you can see it houses the Andriod Touch screen, GPS, AM/FM bluetooth entertainment system, The Ac/Heat controls, Front and rear air vents, front and rear power window controls, USB for both front and rear passengers and of course storage. This should look right at home in the Cuda.

Roadman

Quote from: kjwalters on September 04, 2017, 06:19:11 PM
Finally got the console done this weekend. I had Juan's interior guy cover it for me since I dont have an industrial sewing machine. I think it turned out really nice. It was covered in Black Madrid pattern vinyl which closely matches the dash color and pattern.  As you can see it houses the Andriod Touch screen, GPS, AM/FM bluetooth entertainment system, The Ac/Heat controls, Front and rear air vents, front and rear power window controls, USB for both front and rear passengers and of course storage. This should look right at home in the Cuda.

Awesome work.     :banana:        :rebelflag"

kjwalters

One of the things I really hated about the rally hoods was the fact that the twin hood scoops were decorative and not operational. I decided early on to fix that problem, but it was not any easy fix. It took some time to figure out just how to do modify the original scoops so air could actually flow through the. The end result turned out really nice, I am pretty happy with the results.

Cuda Cody

Mickm

kjwalters, Those scoops look cool  8). They look good and the fact that now they serve a purpose is aweseome! Iwould be interested in seeing how you did them. Did you take any pics during the process that you would share?

Cheers!
Mickm

kjwalters

Quote from: Mickm on September 07, 2017, 08:28:13 AM
kjwalters, Those scoops look cool  8). They look good and the fact that now they serve a purpose is aweseome! Iwould be interested in seeing how you did them. Did you take any pics during the process that you would share?

Cheers!
Mickm

Thank you. Unfortunately I didn't take "in progress pics". The process is as you might expect, you first have to cut out the backing of the air inlet. This takes patients, a good 90 degree cut off wheel and a good die grinder. Once you have that done you need to finish the edges a little with a small Barrel sander like you would have in a dremel tool, and finally wet sand. If you dont do this, when you will likely have bad results when painting them. After you have cut the whole out the next part is to buy some stainless perforated sheet, .045-0.65 will work fine. At this point it's you cut a piece roughly the size you need then cover it in masking tape so you can draw on it. Trace the inlet outline of the UNDER SIDE area of the vent, were the grill will be attached. Allow enough on each end so that you can bend it slightly to hug each end. It takes time to do this right so dont rush it, you want the grill to fit against the opening flat without any gaps. You dont have allot of room to fasten the grill, so you have two choices. One is to use a quick set crystal clear epoxy and lay a thin bead around the area that the grill sits against. The down side with this is that epoxy likes pressure when curing, and the shape of this air intake makes that difficult.  The other option is to purchase some Super High bond double sided industrial adhesive strips and cut them to size. If your not familiar with this stuff, it's pretty amazing, they attach bus and truck panels with it. It takes the place of welds and rivets and bonds instantly so no need to clamp it. The down side is that it's a little pricey depending on which one you go with. The good stuff is 18-$20 a foot..and they only sell it in 10ft, 20ft 50ft and 100ft rolls.  But 3M makes a versions in the VHB series that are suppose to be pretty good as well and you can get it in 9ft length for $20. I have never used this but form what I read people seemed impressed. I went with the more expensive alternative because I wanted piece of mind. That's all there is to it. Good luck.

soundcontrol

Mina are functional also, but just open, some previous owner just removed the tabs were you screw the inserts. I should put something like that in also.

kjwalters

I think some people would be surprised at how long it takes to do wiring and make it look decent. Today I managed to get the l.e.d. Dome light and door switches installed, the  l.e.d Headlight, turn signal and halo's wiring done and the trunk weather strip installed. Every little thing done, is one less thing to do. Once I get the front window switches and relays installed I should be ready to get the dash back in and install the Console. As a side note: the Headlight buckets needed to be modified to accept the new LED headlights. The hole in the rear needed to be enlarged as you can see in the pics.

Roadman

Quote from: kjwalters on September 08, 2017, 03:49:44 PM
I think some people would be surprised at how long it takes to do wiring and make it look decent. Today I managed to get the l.e.d. Dome light and door switches installed, the  l.e.d Headlight, turn signal and halo's wiring done and the trunk weather strip installed. Every little thing done, is one less thing to do. Once I get the front window switches and relays installed I should be ready to get the dash back in and install the Console.
Ahh, I love wiring, and I'm a nut case about it looking good. It does take time and patience , but even if it can't be seen, I know its there so I perfect it.  Nice work @kjwalters    :banana:        :rebelflag"

kjwalters

[/quote]
                   Ahh, I love wiring, and I'm a nut case about it looking good. It does take time and patience , but even if it can't be seen, I know its there so I perfect it.  Nice work @kjwalters    :banana:        :rebelflag"
[/quote]

Thanks man I appreciate that, and I agree with you about doing right even if it cant be seen lol. We may be a little OCD  :yes: