Main Menu

I bought a new car...UPDATE PICTURES

Started by anlauto, October 01, 2018, 07:52:28 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Uncleal

Just curious  are you interested in selling your car ?

Cuda Cody

@Uncleal  :welcome: Welcome to the site.  Alan does great work and I'm pretty sure he is going to sell the car.  If you are looking for a cool AAR that would be a good one to take a close look at.   :yes: 

anlauto

YES...I'll likely be advertising it in the near future...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: anlauto on October 03, 2018, 03:13:15 PM
Quote from: Cuda Cody on October 03, 2018, 02:01:35 PM
  Is it a $25K to $30k car as it sits?  Not needing a lot of metal work is a big plus.

Is it ? What does everybody think about it's current value...

DO you really want o know ??

This is how I would look at it -
Top $ for a red AAR Auto column shift auto with a bench seat - $70k

Now subtract all that is needed
Paint body & blasting $30 k
new Interior $5 - 6K
T/A block heads & valve train properly built $12 k
Correct HD 727 rebuilt $2k
New Exhaust $1k
Rebuild suspension $500-700
Rebuild diff $50-2k
New Brakes - Pads shoes spring & hoses $170 , add new rotors brgs drums park cables  $400-600
New wiring - $600
Detail everything , lots of hours & paint

Missing parts
Bench seat $200 -400 if you can find one
Correct Rad if not there + shroud $400 +
JacK + inflator bottle $300
Exhaust Manifolds - $600
Good Year Tires $1400
So Approx 50k + missing parts to restore it
I figure $10 - 12k as it sits to break even
This is if you do a lot of the Labor yourself , if you are paying Alans time to do the work well you get the point

anlauto

My question is really what's it worth as it sits.... :dunno:

I think for someone to buy it, and have me restore it for them will easily cost $100K USD plus....
In my opinion a realistic resale value after a full ground up restoration, done to my standards would be in the $85K USD range.

So obviously it's much cheaper to go by a done car, and take a gamble on what you're buying. If people haven't figured that out yet, then they must be pretty new to the hobby.

If someone wants to buy it and restore it themselves, they will pay a little more up front, but save the $25K labour, so they might be a little better off, but still in to deep.  Buying and restoring cars is not a profit making business anymore.

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

303 Mopar

Quote from: anlauto on October 05, 2018, 04:33:13 AM
My question is really what's it worth as it sits.... :dunno:

An ARR with a color change, assuming no tag, unknown body condition under the paint, missing expensive parts to make it right, missing column shift, missing bench that's in unknown mechanical condition too (looks like he hasn't ran it for a long while)?  I would say $18k.  If I bought it I would throw $10k into it to get it safe, running, driving, stopping, don't forget you need to find an install seats and a column too. Then just drive it just like it is and not worry about the high dollar resto and anxiety every time you take it out or someone comes near it so you just leave it in the garage. Drive the tires off it and enjoy it!   :banana:

anlauto

QuoteI figure $10 - 12k as it sits

QuoteI would say $18k

Just a heads up.....I'll buy EVERY single AAR Cuda project you guys can supply for $10K-$18K USD.... :slapme5:

anlauto

303 Mopar

Quote from: anlauto on October 05, 2018, 05:09:10 AM
QuoteI figure $10 - 12k as it sits
QuoteI would say $18k
Just a heads up.....I'll buy EVERY single AAR Cuda project you guys can supply for $10K-$18K USD.... :slapme5:

If you keep asking for peoples opinions on the value, then you should respect what they say even if you don't like it.  Otherwise don't ask.  IMO I would not pay more than $20k for that car the way it sits because I know the minimum that has to be done to it, and there are still many unknowns about the car. Someone else who really wants an AAR or who doesn't understand the cost and effort, including just finding a TA block w/ heads and manifolds that will most likely need rebuilt is $10-15k, might think its worth more. 

IMO if you restore that car to perfection, you will be $40k upside down to the current market value of a column shift-bench AAR.

anlauto

I do respect your opinion and the opinions of all the members on this board, that's why I politely asked you to point me in the direction of any AAR Cuda project that is for sale for under $18K USD....

When I give MY opinion on a value of any car, it's not necessarily what "I'm willing to pay" , it's based more on the current market and the asking prices and sale prices of comparable cars. For example....Your 1970 Cuda with a modern Hemi in it....I wouldn't pay more than $20K for it....but that wouldn't be an honest opinion of the current value of the car :alan2cents:

FlatlandTA

T.A.engines/blocks are out there. Just easier to find 426 Hemi stuff lol. The T.A.blocks/engines aren't cheap either but I believe you would recoup any money invested into proper non matching T.A.driveline components. And hey never know the numbers engine could surface one day !

dave73

I'd post it up for sale with you restoring it and see who comes out of the woodwork. Like that member "Uncleal" at the top, this is his first ever post. Maybe this car provoked him to post and is interested?

303's car is perfect in my eyes, just proof that different people like different things. I think that works well in your favor with this project, you have a blank canvas ready for anything and everything. If I had the money, I'd love to have a real AAR but without the concern of having to keep it 100% stock and original. Could check out some of those pro-touring forums, might be a prime candidate for this car.

303 Mopar

Quote from: anlauto on October 05, 2018, 05:37:22 AM
I do respect your opinion and the opinions of all the members on this board, that's why I politely asked you to point me in the direction of any AAR Cuda project that is for sale for under $18K USD....

So you have $10-12 from @Chryco Psycho, $18k from me, $25-30k from @Cuda Cody, $30k from @1 Wild R/T, $40k from @kdcarman. If you do the math, maybe throw out the high of $40 and low of $10, and split the $18-30k range you have about a mid $20k car as it sits from the opinions you asked.   

anlauto

Math..Okay, so if everybody is in agreement the car is worth $23,571.00 as it sits.  :banana: Any takers ?

RUNCHARGER

I think the value is somewhere between $26k and $30k. It's a pretty complete car and it has pretty nice metal. Sure you will be upside down in today's values but two things come to mind. One, most of us love the cars and we also want to watch them every step of the resto (whether we do them ourselves or contract them), second values generally go up so upside down today is just fine a year or two down the road.
I doubt I would ever buy a done car because for one thing I want to KNOW that those serial #'s punched in the metal were on that car on that metal from when Chrysler put them there. I have also seen some pretty nice paint jobs over bodywork not done as I want it done.
Sheldon