Main Menu

Rebel's Fix Thread

Started by rebelyell, June 04, 2017, 09:49:42 AM

Previous topic Next topic

rebelyell

Right, I wouldn't have even brought it up if it weren't dropping to zero when I stopped. Oil pressure works with rpms. I'm not sure I have the right dipstick, but I'm fairly certain the gauge is correct. Says about 75 psi running 75 down the interstate at 3500ish rpms.  I guess I could go pick up a new one and confirm it.

Brads70

First thing that popped into my head is what oil filter are you running?  I have seen fram oil filters fail internally and read zero oil pressure. But you say you have 75psi at 3000rpm so I doubt that is the issue...?  If you had zero oil pressure I'd think you would hear a noisy valve train assuming your using a hydraulic cam.

RUNCHARGER

My 67 GTX did that, the oil light would flicker when coming to a hard stop. That car was missing the windage tray, when I installed a windage tray the problem went away. So it was obviously uncovering the pickup on a hard stop. That oil pan didn't have baffles either so I am betting you have no baffling in the oil pan or windage tray either.
Sheldon

rebelyell

Quote from: Brads70 on September 25, 2017, 05:02:32 PM
First thing that popped into my head is what oil filter are you running?  I have seen fram oil filters fail internally and read zero oil pressure. But you say you have 75psi at 3000rpm so I doubt that is the issue...?  If you had zero oil pressure I'd think you would hear a noisy valve train assuming your using a hydraulic cam.

I have no idea what's been done to the motor. All I've been told is that it's a 413 RB motor, but the casting number on the intake manifold tells me it's a 440, and I can't find any references on the cylinder head casting numbers.

I "tested" it by letting the motor run a little low on oil and coming to a hard stop at a stop sign. Once the oil pressure dropped to zero it stayed for a little longer than a few seconds and then I heard valve chatter. I immediately pulled over and added oil.

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on September 25, 2017, 05:42:10 PM
My 67 GTX did that, the oil light would flicker when coming to a hard stop. That car was missing the windage tray, when I installed a windage tray the problem went away. So it was obviously uncovering the pickup on a hard stop. That oil pan didn't have baffles either so I am betting you have no baffling in the oil pan or windage tray either.

I'm leaning more toward something like this being the culprit. I think there's something in the oil pan allowing the oil to remove itself from the pump. When it briefly drops to zero, what's left in the pump (valleys?) is still getting to the top of the motor until the oil can settle back to where it should be and be picked up again.

I have to buy another valve cover gasket set, so I'll add an oil pan gasket set to the order.

rebelyell

What's the "eye" in the bottom right of my switch panel? I've seen some with and some without. Doesn't look like it does anything.

Brads70

Quote from: rebelyell on September 28, 2017, 05:43:44 AM
What's the "eye" in the bottom right of my switch panel? I've seen some with and some without. Doesn't look like it does anything.

That's where the rear defroster or convertible top switches would be.

rebelyell

Right... so this thing doesn't do anything?

Brads70

Quote from: rebelyell on September 28, 2017, 04:04:10 PM

nope, you could tell your kids it's the ejector seat and to never press it! :D

Roadman

Quote from: Brads70 on September 28, 2017, 04:24:59 PM

:haha:     :rofl:

rebelyell

Quote from: Brads70 on September 28, 2017, 04:24:59 PM

:haha: This is exactly the kinda dad I'm gonna be.

Rev-It-Up

Looks like the perfect location for a switch for cutouts!  :yes:
Rev-It-Up

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: Rev-It-Up on September 29, 2017, 06:41:47 AM
Looks like the perfect location for a switch for cutouts!  :yes:

I did that but for my A518 Over Drive switch although added my exhaust cutout switch further to the right

Brads70

I acquired another switch and will be using it for my fog lights. 

Chryco Psycho

Any update on the oil pan pull / oil pressure problem ?

rebelyell

I got the car on stands in the air last week and started loosening bolts. Couldn't even access the front bolts. No way to get up there. Tried 3 different angles and 5 tools. Gave up and decided I would be best served topping the oil off every time.