Main Menu

Rear Valance fit (AMD)

Started by soundcontrol, February 09, 2020, 01:41:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

soundcontrol

Fitting my rear valance to the quarter, if I align it so it looks good from the outside, the 2 holes on the flange are off about 1/2". Pict 1 and 2.
If I align the holes, it looks bad from the outside. Pict 3 and 4.
I though at least AMD parts would fit with each other...
Do I really have to cut and move the flange?

anlauto

:'( looks like your only option at this point  :headbang:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

soundcontrol

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on February 09, 2020, 01:53:49 PM
Super easy to fix though.

Yep, but I bought a new valance just because my old one did not have any flanges at all, I could just have made new ones and save some cash...
Not sure if I'm liking AMD so much now. Nothing seem to fit well.

Rich G.

I had the same problem. Took a die grinder and elongated the holes. Never see it when it's bolted on. You would think it should fit without having to play with it.

soundcontrol

Quote from: Rich G. on February 09, 2020, 02:20:41 PM
I had the same problem. Took a die grinder and elongated the holes. Never see it when it's bolted on. You would think it should fit without having to play with it.

Yeah, I can understand fitment issues on the car, since Chrysler specs are made by drunk monkeys.
But AMD to AMD pieces should fit together, in this case they did not.

Brads70

Did you having to cut out/shorten the trunk floor drop off's have something to do with this?  :thinking: Is that the same holes to fit the valance? Maybe it's the quarters that are the original issue?  :notsure:

soundcontrol

Quote from: Brads70 on February 09, 2020, 02:58:15 PM
Did you having to cut out/shorten the trunk floor drop off's have something to do with this?  :thinking: Is that the same holes to fit the valance? Maybe it's the quarters that are the original issue?  :notsure:

Quarter and trunk floor extension fits together. (I did have to cut it, but not in this area). Just the valance flange that is off. The trunk floor extension is not included in the pictures.

Plumcrazy72

My AMD rear valiance wasn't nice either, not to mention the license plate bracket was spot welded on about a 10 degree angle
1972 340 PCP
2015 Dodge Journey Crossroad
2020 Ram Rebel

rhamson

I didn't have problems with the flange but the shape at the quarter panels were off by quite a bit. I had to bang it into shape to make it fit but it does fit nicely now. It beats the rusted dented piece of metal noodle that I took off. These pictures were taken pretty far into the process but the first picture shows how it had a gap in the middle. The second one shows how I banged it into shape. I also removed the bumperette slots. This is on a '72 Challenger.

soundcontrol

@rhamson, shape of mine is pretty good, can be perfect with some small hammer work.
That bolt in the corner of the valance, what is it attached to?

I mailed AMD to see what they recommend for the issue.

soundcontrol

I see now, the quarter has a flange and a hole for that bolt, way off on mine...  of course.

7E-Bodies

I cut and moved the flanges on the AMD quarters for my 70 Challenger. Easy. Can't even tell it was done. It does seem odd though.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green