71 'Cuda restoration

Started by Tunis, March 28, 2017, 04:24:52 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Topcat

Whatever you use don't use 3M.

Mine is starting to lift. It shrinks.

SEM I heard is better.

Cuda Cody

I like the seam sealer that 3M makes that comes in the sausage tubes that uses a special gun to apply.  I would have to look up the number, but it's been really good to me.

soundcontrol

Asked around a bit, Loctite Teroson 9200 0r 9120 is one that a lot of people use, and are very happy with.

Tunis

@soundcontrol Thanks! Where do I buy that?

It has been over a month since I posted any progress here, so it is about time for a bunch of photos.
So I cut up the right quarter and moved it so that it would better follow that curvature of the trim. Sorry for the rotation of the photos.

Then I moved the car over and started working on the left quarter.

This side fit like a glove!

So I welded that into place along the doorpost, rocker and about halfway around the wheelhouse.

Then I got back to working on the rear window channel and trying to get the sheet metal to follow the rear window trim. Welded the cut-up left quarter back together. Cut out the corner where the deck lid sits as it didn't align to good with the deck lid.

Also cut up the right side and started to weld it back up.

To be continued... shortly

Shane Kelley

A couple other ares of concern when using those quarterpanels are the rear valance fitment to the quarter and the overhang on the rear body panel by the tail lights.

That area with the window trim is one I see all the time on these cars. People don't fit the trim before painting. Then they are stuck with the gap. It's absolutely stupid that they can't make that part correct. Just like all the other aftermarket junk. They get it close but just can't seam to make it perfect. 

Tunis

Tacked the corner-piece back in place.

Then removed the deckfiller panel. The package tray was a little corroded, but nothing that couldn't be fixed with a little welding.

Everything in place.

Deck filler isn't correct in any direction or shape. It will need some heavy modification.

More to come tomorrow when I have more time.

anlauto

@ErikR , they guy you bought it from is now a member here. I'm restoring his other car. :cheers:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

Thanks for the updates.  Looking great.  :banana:

soundcontrol

Quote from: Tunis on May 26, 2017, 10:40:17 AM
soundcontrol Thanks! Where do I buy that?

The guy I talked to ordered it from Germany, this store:
https://www.autoteilemann.de/search/?q=teroson+9200&qc=&ms=true

Nice work, I can watch metal work all day long!

Tunis

Thank you guys!
@anlauto cool! It looks like it needs a lot of work..
@soundcontrol Thanks! I will look at that when the time comes.

Yesterday didn't happen in terms of updates, but I have some time now to continue with the photo session.

Wasn't happy with the way the quarter lined up with the deck filler, so I cut and extended the quarter a little.

And then welded it and ground down the welds.

Then the other side. Same procedure.

Test fit the trim to the deck filler. This was a mistake, I should have waited with this, but at this time I was so focused on getting the trim to fit all the way around. I keep making mistakes, and they consume an awful lot of time, but I guess that is part of the learning process.

Cut up the deck filler to align with the trim, this was the mistake, I should have waited until later with this as you will see.

After cutting up the deck filler I wanted to something happening on the car, it just didn't feel like any progress for the past week. So I started to repair the rust damage in the rear window channel on the roof. Cut away the old and rusted out metal and primed it with some weld-through primer.

Then welded and ground the welds flat.

Spurred on by the resounding success on the roof I jumped back to the deck filler. Tacked it together where I thought it fit the trim good enough.

I didn't take any photos of the welding of the deck filler. But I did take some of process of trying to gap the deck filler to the deck lid.

The deck filler didn't match the curve of the deck lid, maybe not visible in this photo, but here it is anyway

I tried to make a template to follow, but end up not using it.

After making some cuts in the middle of the deck filler and making the curve more pronounced, I tacked it into place.

Welded up the corner where the deck lid meets the quarter panel.

And finally cut out the same corner on the right quarter panel and adjusted it to follow the curvature of the deck lid.

Lots of work remains, but it is starting to shape up I think. Now I'm again up to date with the progress. Todo for tomorrow is to cut (Again! :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair:) and weld the deck filler to align with the rear window trim as that was upset when I aligned the deck filler to the deck lid.

Cuda Cody

Your attention to details will pay off big time when it's all painted.  It's going to have wonderful gaps and look amazing.  The work you do now is what makes people WOW, that's a great paint job.   :yes:

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Cuda Cody on May 28, 2017, 12:20:08 PM
Your attention to details will pay off big time when it's all painted.  It's going to have wonderful gaps and look amazing.  The work you do now is what makes people WOW, that's a great paint job.   :yes:

Which is what kills me, the body man spends hours (more like days) getting things just right, the painter walks in & sprays the car in 4-5 hours & everyone raves about the painter....  In my eyes the bogyman deserves 90+% of the credit....

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

CudaMoparRay

Excellent picture history of all the bodywork.

soundcontrol

Very nice! Your'e building a Mopar with Mercedes specs!   :D