Main Menu

74 Challenger Canadian Restoration

Started by daaboots, November 13, 2019, 05:44:35 PM

Previous topic Next topic

daaboots

I've been isolating in my garage these days... which means new Challenger videos! I'll have some pics to post soon as well. Take care everyone and stay safe  :wave:

daaboots

It's been a good long minute, but I'm finally in a position in life right now to dump some serious time and money into this project!!!  :wave: My fellow Canadian builders will understand just how expensive shipping big sheet metal parts can be. I have always had items shipped to a UPS store just across the border to save on shipping cost. Well covid put and end to that, until just recently with the announcement of the land border reopening to non-essential visits! So, in a few days, I'll be placing a big order for the next batch of metal that I need - floor pan, drip rails, and rear bumper crossmember. Hopefully I'll be able to get the items before Christmas so I can start working over the break.

One question though - can anybody recommend plans for a DIY rotisserie? I'm getting to the point where having one would make sense.

Thanks and stay tuned!

anlauto

...except now you'll just have to deal with a lot of parts being out of stock or on back order... :pullinghair:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

blown motor

Glad you're getting back at it. I hope you can get the parts you need.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

daaboots

Poked the car last night to figure out the remaining pieceses of metal that I'll need. The order has been sent in... fingers crossed I can get the parts!

daaboots

Progress again, FINALLY! And boy does it feel good to be moving forward on the car. My shipment of body pannels from National Moparts arrived a few weeks back (thanks anlauto for the suggestion). I spent a decent amount of time getting the crossmemeber and tail light panels correctly fitted... well as best as I could that is. I made sure they went on nice and level. I wish I would have bought the rear valance now so I can finish up with the rear end of the car.

jimynick

Lookin' good! AND, coming along., too. If you get truly stuck over that rear valence, I might still have my old one, but I don't remember what shape it's in. I'll try to remember to look and let you know. The price would be right, that's for sure.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

daaboots

Quote from: jimynick on January 18, 2022, 07:59:13 PM
Lookin' good! AND, coming along., too. If you get truly stuck over that rear valence, I might still have my old one, but I don't remember what shape it's in. I'll try to remember to look and let you know. The price would be right, that's for sure.  :cheers:

You gave me your old one  :twothumbsup:
It's a bit rough in a few spots so I figured I'd look at getting a new one. I can give it back to you or I'll just pass it along for free to someone that can make good use of it.

How's your car looking these days anyway? I haven't seen any pics of it.

jimynick

"You gave me your old one" LOL, I knew my brain was turning to mush, but jeez, I didn't think it was that fast.  Anyways, let's go with my heart was and I guess, is, in the right place. If you or someone else can use it, go for it. I'd rather see it used than trashed, if possible. As for my old gal, the boys and I finally thrashed it this spring, as Jim wanted to use it for his wedding car; so it finally got painted and put back together. PM me a phone # and I'll send you some pics of it. Hopefully, yours will be done before too long and you'll get to enjoy the fruits of your labours!  :bigthumb:

soundcontrol

Progress, Nice! You gonna make more videos?
Maybe I can find some inspiration again, going on 2 years since I worked on mine now.

daaboots

It feels great working on the old car again! AND it's really starting to look like something half decent  :yes:

anlauto

Always impressed by the work in these videos. Proves any car car be repaired if you've got the ambition  :worship: :clapping:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

jimynick

You're doing an awesome job, but I wish I'd seen this earlier. The issue in my tiny mind is the deck lid fit in between the 1/4s. This was your best shot at adjusting before welding and I hope it works out! I note your comments about the rear mldg holes mating with the 1/4 ones. A tapered punch of the right diameter is your friend there. The fit between the 1/4 and the rear body panel is abysmal beneath the mldg area in these cars, and a blunt chisel or drift powered by a BFH can be your friend in "walking" those two panels closer together. You'll likely never get them tight, but that's why the factory bought seam sealer by the ship load, eh? May I recommend mounting the deck lid and seeing where you're at? If required, a slice or two now would be preferable to later when you're farther along. Hopefully, there'll be no need, so let's keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best. I'm so glad to see how your vicegrip collection has grown and how well you employ them!  :D   :bigthumb:

daaboots

Quote from: jimynick on January 25, 2022, 02:38:40 PM
You're doing an awesome job, but I wish I'd seen this earlier. The issue in my tiny mind is the deck lid fit in between the 1/4s. This was your best shot at adjusting before welding and I hope it works out! I note your comments about the rear mldg holes mating with the 1/4 ones. A tapered punch of the right diameter is your friend there. The fit between the 1/4 and the rear body panel is abysmal beneath the mldg area in these cars, and a blunt chisel or drift powered by a BFH can be your friend in "walking" those two panels closer together. You'll likely never get them tight, but that's why the factory bought seam sealer by the ship load, eh? May I recommend mounting the deck lid and seeing where you're at? If required, a slice or two now would be preferable to later when you're farther along. Hopefully, there'll be no need, so let's keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best. I'm so glad to see how your vicegrip collection has grown and how well you employ them!  :D   :bigthumb:

Ah good idea with the tapered punch... wish I would have thought of that earlier! Yeah I guess I should throw the trunk lid on again and check the gap. It was off a bit on the driver side last time I checked. The door gap on the passenger side is off too... hopefully I'll be able to sort that out. Worst case I can always weld in some filler pieces I guess  :dunno:

I have lots of vice grips now buddy! Princess auto to the rescue.

jimynick

"Worst case I can always weld in some filler pieces I guess  "  Yeah, if you're out of other methods. If it gets to that, may I recommend you cut the 1/4 vertically about a 1/2" back from it's edge? That way you can add a piece the size you need and still retain the factory edge where it meets the door. Welding in a spacer and trying to get the door/quarter gap both even and smooth is a class A, PITA.  :cheers: