Main Menu

My AAR project

Started by 6Pack70, November 06, 2018, 03:34:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

larry4406

6Pack70

Thanks :)   This is more like a dash cleanup, detail and check that everything functions good than a full blown restoration.   I just can't justify spending 3 or 4 grand on the dash alone knowing that this car is going to be my driver/ local car show type Cuda.   Anything that looks like it could be trouble right away, gets replaced. 

6Pack70

Couple dash pics before I cover it up and store downstairs until new dash pad arrives.   Waiting until the holidays pass for that to happen.    :bigmoney:   I have a few more items to work on in the meantime. 

6Pack70

Does anyone know what the Orange wire that is taped off would be for?    It's in the upper left of this pic.  Black connector on it with what appears to be the original tape on the end of it.  Maybe for an option my AAR doesn't have?   

1 Wild R/T

Orange is dash light circuit...   BTW they reproduce the decal for wiper/lights/dimmer..

http://www.performancecargraphics.com/Dash_Stuff/Switch_Labels/E-body_Standard.htm

anlauto

The orange wire supplies power to the flood lamp for the heater controls....I'm surprised your car is missing the light altogether, I thought they were a standard light on all dashes  :dunno:...I'm going to check the AAR I'm taking apart....stay tuned...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6Pack70

Post up what you find Alan :)  I'd be curious why someone would have removed that light from my car. Doesn't show any signs of it ever being there but hey..ya never know.  Thanks  :bigthumb:

6Pack70

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on December 06, 2018, 09:48:01 AM
Orange is dash light circuit...   BTW they reproduce the decal for wiper/lights/dimmer..

Ooh....thanks for the tip on the decal also.  Never even knew he had those decals available. I might be grabbing one of those.  Thank you  :bigthumb:

http://www.performancecargraphics.com/Dash_Stuff/Switch_Labels/E-body_Standard.htm

anlauto

Quote from: 6Pack70 on December 06, 2018, 11:04:38 AM
Post up what you find Alan :)  I'd be curious why someone would have removed that light from my car. Doesn't show any signs of it ever being there but hey..ya never know.  Thanks  :bigthumb:

You're good to go ! The standard dash AAR I'm doing right now doesn't have the light either...maybe it's a rally dash thing ? :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6Pack70

Ok great.... cuz I just gave one of those lights away to someone in need of one. Lol. Thank you for checking.

6Pack70

I was just thinking about this light, not being installed in my Cuda.   This car has the standard dash like many AARs, but it's optioned with the light group. Ash tray light, glove box light, map light, trunk light.... but no heater light on the instrument panel.  Strange.  Maybe it is only included with Rallye instruments. 

Chryco Psycho

Truely strange , I believe it should be there especially with the light pkg  :thinking:

6Pack70

I agree with you... why it's not there is a mystery to me.   :dunno:

Cuda Cody

6Pack70

Thanks Cody   :) Much appreciated..   I'm now actually looking forward to taking some of it back apart to install a new dash pad soon.  Plus , I just picked up a busted up gauge bezel with really nice original Brake and Oil red lenses.  They will soon replace the originals in mine as the white lettering is faded pretty bad.  On a side note, I ended up spending learly an entire day carefully cleaning and inspecting my original dash harness and decided to keep it and re-use it.   A new harness would be around 530 bucks and I would still be adding my Cuda's options to the new harness and quite possibly swapping out the fusebox to be more correct.  I decided it wasn't worth it unless I was having this car points judged.   I found nothing on my original harness that would make me think something could go wrong.  Additionally, the car will be fully insured.