Main Menu

project phantom

Started by Cuda70-74, July 05, 2017, 11:51:20 AM

Previous topic Next topic

soundcontrol

Trust me, it's so much easier with the machine I mentioned earlier! No need for heat either.

Cuda Cody

Cuda70-74

Wow that thing was cutting thru it. Thanks I'm going to have pick it up
1969 mustang
1974 cuda turnt into a 71 cuda
1968 charger

Cuda70-74

Got a quick question Has anybody ever used this primer before(pic of it) I know it's not the expensive 2k type primer. The store clerk I bought  it from said i dont need any lacquer thinner. I have never heard of a primer not needing it. I wanted to try it on a section on the car. So i went to home depot and got some paint thinner and did a 1:1 mix like it said on the can. It seems to lay down ok. What's your thought?
I also learned that these inner frame brace make it hard to paint on the inside of the inner frame brace.
1969 mustang
1968 charger

soundcontrol

Don't know about the primer, but Eastwood make a good rattle can paint for inside hard to get to places, called Internal Frame Coating. It has a long hose with a 360 degree nozzle. I used it so far in my rear frame rails and inside the rockers, works well. I painted the inside of my fender braces before I welded them in, but I still have to get some paint on the back of the welds later.

Cuda Cody

Any primers that are not catalyzed with a hardener will be a weak point in the paint so I would stronger suggest a catalyzed primer.  The paint is only as strong as the weakest layer.   I know of a really cheap super high quality catalyzed epoxy that is used in the commercial world and used to primer salt water boats.  See if you can find a local auto paint store that sells Commercial Performance Coatings CRE.  That stuff is like a bullet proof coating that will work really good for the money.  The hard part is finding a dealer that sells it.

Cuda70-74

Quote from: soundcontrol on August 26, 2017, 03:22:52 PM
Don't know about the primer, but Eastwood make a good rattle can paint for inside hard to get to places, called Internal Frame Coating. It has a long hose with a 360 degree nozzle. I used it so far in my rear frame rails and inside the rockers, works well. I painted the inside of my fender braces before I welded them in, but I still have to get some paint on the back of the welds later.
I use internal frame coating on all my cars it's good stuff
1969 mustang
1968 charger

Cuda70-74

Quote from: Cuda Cody on August 26, 2017, 03:37:35 PM
Any primers that are not catalyzed with a hardener will be a weak point in the paint so I would stronger suggest a catalyzed primer.  The paint is only as strong as the weakest layer.   I know of a really cheap super high quality catalyzed epoxy that is used in the commercial world and used to primer salt water boats.  See if you can find a local auto paint store that sells Commercial Performance Coatings CRE.  That stuff is like a bullet proof coating that will work really good for the money.  The hard part is finding a dealer that sells it.
I bought that primer from a local paint store. I was confused when the guy said you can use it right out the can I never heard of that. The instruction on the can says it uses a 1:1 mixture
1969 mustang
1968 charger

Cuda Cody

The CRE is a 2k direct to bare metal epoxy primer.  It's sold through the commercial line pf PPG so the price is less then the normal automotive line as it's a different department.  Any quality 2k epoxy primer should hold up really well if you clean the metal good.

Topcat

3M makes a popular product for inside the frame rails called Rust Fighter.

Think of it as like a cosmoline inside the frame rails.
It dries to a wax like consistency.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-08998-Rust-Fighter-I-Application/dp/B0038D7GB2

Cuda70-74

Well started the hardest repair on the cuda which is the roof. I bought some 18 gauge from a local supplier and cut it in half. Place it on top of the roof and traced it.  It took 2 attempts to cut it right but I got it. Did some spot welds around it.
1969 mustang
1968 charger

YellowThumper

The dreaded sunroof hack...
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Cuda Cody

That's a tough repair area to fix.  Go slow and take your time and you should be good.  Keep compressed air next to you when you weld and blow the spot weld off right away to cool.  Looks like you are doing a nice job on it.   :)

JS29

If you are keeping that windshield you will want to cover it. the sparks from welding and grinding will pit it. welding blanket or even tape cardboard to it. it's pricey but 3M has A covering on A roll that sticks to the glass. same go's for any glass ware sparks are flying.    :alan2cents:

Cuda70-74

1969 mustang
1968 charger