Main Menu

Cuda door and side window replacement

Started by Spikedog08, January 20, 2017, 11:45:38 AM

Previous topic Next topic

GoodysGotaCuda

Ok I am getting a tad flustered with my passenger door. This is an old regulator, that worked fine before, and new glass.

My issues:
-it's not the easiest to move and seems to be binding up, where I am unsure. Every bolt is loose on it except the two on the longitudinal bar on the regulator.

-The rear of the glass is far too high compared to the front. Both when up, and when down. For the life of me, I cannot seem to adjust this out. The glass does not touch the bump stop when fully down and is nearly touching the lower track bracket in the front.

Full down

Full up

I am to a point where I think I will remove what I have and overlay the new glass over the old and look for variances.

I suppose buying new hardware may help make it operate smoother, but I can't help but think that I have something screwed up. I've referenced the manual a dozen times and can't find an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Cuda Cody

:o  That is way off.  Take a break from it and sleep on it.  Maybe have a friend give you a hand as they might see something you are not.  Do you have your old glass you can put in and test to see if it's the glass that is the issue?

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Cuda Cody on July 26, 2017, 09:40:16 PM
:o  That is way off.  Take a break from it and sleep on it.  Maybe have a friend give you a hand as they might see something you are not.  Do you have your old glass you can put in and test to see if it's the glass that is the issue?

That's a next step to pull the glass and compare. I may just jump over to the driver's side with the old glass and see if I learn anything.

If I somewhat force the window all the way down, it will level out some and get close to the bump stop.

I do not have any upstops installed, but I also cannot hold the back of the glass as it goes up and make it remotely level out. I don't see an upstop helping much, especially because it doesn't want to sit well down either.
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Aar1064

I went through it all with mine and learned a lot. You may try loosening everything. The two Front track bolts top and bottom, pivot plate, rear guide top bolt, guide plate with the wedge that bolts to glass. Are the bolt holes in door for the regulator itself in good shape?

With all of this loose you should be able to see what the issue is and from your pics it looks like you're not getting enough travel up on the front track. Though it wasn't that bad on mine, I found that lowering the pivot plate raised the front of glass.

anlauto

Does your interior panel fit ? Because I'm guessing you have the regulator in the wrong "square" hole.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: anlauto on July 27, 2017, 04:00:30 AM
Does your interior panel fit ? Because I'm guessing you have the regulator in the wrong "square" hole.

It does fit, its in the lower square hole. Thanks

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Aar1064

@GoodysGotaCuda I read your post again and realized that everything is loose so that doesn't help. Comparing the glass with original like you've mentioned seems like your next logical move.

Interested in what you discover so please keep us informed.

anlauto

Okay...Well that was just my first thought (early morning).
How about the rear track slide...Is it riding in the track correctly or on the outside of the track ? Hard to tell from your pictures.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: anlauto on July 27, 2017, 06:14:31 AM
Okay...Well that was just my first thought (early morning).
How about the rear track slide...Is it riding in the track correctly or on the outside of the track ? Hard to tell from your pictures.

I was hoping I made a bonehead move and my fix would be that easy!

The C on the glass bracket is riding within the C of the rear track bracket.

The rear track bracket C opening is facing the rear of the car.

On the front slides, there is supposed to be an open hole between them for accessing the upper Allen bolt, yes?

I can't seem to figure out why the glass is so low on the front and high on the rear. I think this evening I will compare glass and try to install the old glass on the drivers side. Perhaps that will go well and help me see what I'm missing on the other side, assuming the new glass is right.

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

HP_Cuda

How about loosening the lower bolts for the two tracks and then loosen the pivot bracket adjustment like the image below.

1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

GoodysGotaCuda

I will be working on the glass this morning and will provide a status update.

In the meantime, what are you all using for these paper thin washers?

Buying? Making?

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

GoodysGotaCuda

I overplayed the new and old glass and it went well for the drivers side. I do not have any concerns with the drivers side glass.

I put the old glass in on the drivers side, it works much smoother and I won't have any issues aligning it.

Once my new hardware gets here on Monday, I'll get that side in. I'll tear down the passenger side again and see if I can find where things are going wrong.

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Cuda Cody

Looking good.  Once you get the drip rails in it should be easy to line up.

GoodysGotaCuda

What kind of flushness can I expect from door to quarter glass? As you can see, I am off about the thickness of the glass and am not getting a reasonable seal.

I believe my issue may stem from the 1/4 window, the forward edge is pretty hard on the -inside- seal [on the 1/4 kick panel] and not touching the outside seal [with the chrome lip] at the very front. Hinting that the front of the 1/4 window is pitched in toward the center of the car...I'll have to work through that.

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

usraptor

They should line up pretty closely.  I had the same issue with mine.  Took a little bit of adjustment of both the door glass and the quarter window glass to get them to align with each other. The door glass can be adjusted by loosening the bolts on the bottom of the forward and rear vertical tracks and sliding in or out.  On the quarter glass you have to undo the jam nuts on both the top and bottom adjusting screws and then use a screwdriver to adjust the tracks in and/or out.