Main Menu

What did you do with your ebody/Mopar today?

Started by Brads70, March 21, 2017, 03:19:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

Quote from: jimynick on October 18, 2018, 07:18:49 PM
BRAD!!! When did you get that?! I knew you were Jonesing for one, but never knew you'd actually found one! Good looking piece all 'round, now where do you stack it?  :cheers:

I posted about here.... https://forum.e-bodies.org/whats-it-worth/15/what-do-you-think-guys-71-amc-javelin/3046/240

Thanks! I'll be storing it in one of those portable garage tents for now.... My son got me a sweet deal on one as he works at Canadian tire.

dodj

Quote from: Brads70 on October 19, 2018, 05:50:50 AM
Quote from: jimynick on October 18, 2018, 07:18:49 PM
BRAD!!! When did you get that?! I knew you were Jonesing for one, but never knew you'd actually found one! Good looking piece all 'round, now where do you stack it?  :cheers:

I posted about here.... https://forum.e-bodies.org/whats-it-worth/15/what-do-you-think-guys-71-amc-javelin/3046/240

Thanks! I'll be storing it in one of those portable garage tents for now.... My son got me a sweet deal on one as he works at Canadian tire.
A couple friends of mine have used those portable tents. Both collapsed from weight of snow. So keep it cleaned off! Don't let any snow accumulate.
If it were me I'd but come up with some kind of surface protection for the car should it happen to collapse. Like a quilt or something?
:alan2cents:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

340challconvert

Quote from: jimynick on October 15, 2018, 01:49:00 PM
I don't understand where welding the whole length of the extension, including 5 dips, is easier or better than replacing 10-15 spot welds and put the whole thing in? No welding/grinding seams. Am I missing something?  :cheers:

I am a better mechanic than I am a body man
Trunk floor had already been removed. Wanted to maintain body integrity and use the trunk drop offs as a measured guide to install the 2 piece trunk floor.  Top and top half of the side of the drop off are pretty much intact.  I made a template and cut the patch piece. Seems to fit pretty well. This is the initial "rough-in"  I am taking my time since my welding skills are also marginal and I am "learning on the job"
Wish you were closer; I could use the help!

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: 340challconvert on October 19, 2018, 04:53:10 PM
I don't understand where welding the whole length of the extension, including 5 dips, is easier or better than replacing 10-15 spot welds and put the whole thing in? No welding/grinding seams. Am I missing something?  :cheers:

Trunk floor had already been removed. Wanted to maintain body integrity and use the trunk drop offs as a measured guide to install the 2 piece trunk floor.  Top and top half of the side of the drop off are pretty much intact.  I made a template and cut the patch piece. Seems to fit pretty well. This is the initial "rough-in"  I am taking my time since my welding skills are also marginal and I am "learning on the job"

The fitment looks good, but i'd be concerned with the bare metal that is going to be between the 1/4 panel and the trunk drop off. Do you think you can coat it somehow?
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

340challconvert

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on October 19, 2018, 05:03:54 PM
Quote from: 340challconvert on October 19, 2018, 04:53:10 PM

The fitment looks good, but i'd be concerned with the bare metal that is going to be between the 1/4 panel and the trunk drop off. Do you think you can coat it somehow?
Thanks for your thoughts. I will scuff the back, and spray with epoxy, then some weld through primer. Am cutting the lower quarter panel patch next.
Any suggestions welcome!

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

benlavigne

Installed a power trunk release on the Challenger. I think the unit and button are from a C-body, the latch bolted right in, I put the button in the glovebox, used the live power wire from the lighter, still undecided if I'll keep it that way, or use switched power instead. Very easy install, should have been a factory option!

Ben

moparcop

I walked past mine in the shop on my way to work. Although i did slow down and admire it along the way. :wave:
"No matter where you go....there you are"

Chryco Psycho

Cudajason

Quote from: benlavigne on November 01, 2018, 07:38:33 PM
Installed a power trunk release on the Challenger. I think the unit and button are from a C-body, the latch bolted right in, I put the button in the glovebox, used the live power wire from the lighter, still undecided if I'll keep it that way, or use switched power instead. Very easy install, should have been a factory option!

Ben

I have the same set up in mine...but I disconnected it a while ago.

Is the lighter a fused wire or direct to battery.  If its not fused you may want to install one.  The lead to my tuck button fell off once, it was a direct to battery wire, and it started smoking while going down the road...not a fun experience.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

blown motor

:iagree: I was installing a new glove box liner a few years and smoke started pouring out of the dash. A PO had ran a hot wire to the glove box light with no fuse. Somehow it shorted. Melted the wire insulation from one end to the other.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

benlavigne

Quote from: Cudajason on November 02, 2018, 05:18:57 AM

Ben

I have the same set up in mine...but I disconnected it a while ago.

Is the lighter a fused wire or direct to battery.  If its not fused you may want to install one.  The lead to my tuck button fell off once, it was a direct to battery wire, and it started smoking while going down the road...not a fun experience.

Jason

Good idea, I'll look at it, although all of my connections are well-insulated...

Ben

YellowThumper

There is always a power lead to the decklid light. Even if not an option on your car. It is fused.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

benlavigne

Quote from: YellowThumper on November 02, 2018, 12:59:31 PM
There is always a power lead to the decklid light. Even if not an option on your car. It is fused.

I do have the light, but then you need to run the wire back and forth to the button in the front...

Ben

anlauto

Ben

I thought you would want to make such a rare car more "original" ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

benlavigne

Quote from: anlauto on November 02, 2018, 04:29:48 PM

Ben

I thought you would want to make such a rare car more "original" ?

Just a small bolt-on for convenience, I don't mind removeable mods, I'll get to the more obvious stuff (stripe, spoiler...) next Summer... Don't think I'll go back to 14'' road wheels, though...

Ben