Main Menu

Artificial Intelligence, your thoughts .

Started by Roadman, August 06, 2017, 04:19:56 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Roadman

Something I've been watching closely. Jim, @ToxicWolf  and I talk about it often. Elon Musk and Steven Hawking are sounding the alarm.  As technology advances it seems it's designed to eliminate jobs, and make humans lazier.

So will we become a society that our every need is be provided by robots. ?  I don't like how fast things are happening, and sometimes I'm forced to follow, or loose the ability to function as I did.

Interesting article on the subject. Just glad I'm 65 and won't have to see it all happen.  :alan2cents:            http://interestingengineering.com/artificial-intelligence-could-dominate-the-world-sooner/

Cuda Cody

My wife and I were recently talking about how strong and sturdy the settlers must have been to cross the ocean and hike across this country to new lands.  Start with nothing and carve out a living.  They would laugh at me and call me soft the same way I look at some of the millennials. 

Chryco Psycho

Well AI is more efficient & will not tire & with forced minimum wage raises More companies are looking at the cost difference & the robot will be heaper in the long run .
McDonalds alone is introducing self serve ordering stations at 3000 + locations with break even in the first year & higher gains in the second year .
As with everything new the technology can be used for good or bad & we will see both sides of that .
There is the scary unknown once robots can replicate themsevles what happens to the humans but how much worse could it be than pending Nuke war with Korea we are on the fast track to eliminating humans anyway  :bricks:

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: Cuda Cody on August 06, 2017, 04:32:02 PM
My wife and I were recently talking about how strong and sturdy the settlers must have been to cross the ocean and hike across this country to new lands.  Start with nothing and carve out a living.  They would laugh at me and call me soft the same way I look at some of the millennials.

I talk about that often also , I struggle to imagine how Canadians even survived , 90 day growing season betwen frost , no fruits in taht short time frame how did they not die of scurvy ?
Even applied to Panama , it takes a different breed to dump out your life & start new in another country especially where you know no one as in my case & where the rues & language are different & build a new life .
It is Not for most people !

RUNCHARGER

The first jobs technology eliminates are tedious jobs no one wants to do anyway.
The other deal is that if people have no income they will not be able to purchase anything. So it is in Business' best interest to keep that in mind when eliminating jobs.
As the tedious jobs are eliminated humans have to adapt and choose vocations that have less chance of being automated (repairing those machines for example).
I spent 30 years Railroading and believe me if you weren't ahead of technology your future was going to be short. For example on the trains themselves we went from 5 crew members to 1 in some cases, that was in a relatively short time. I think in my last ten years there, I had about 4 different job titles. At first I hated change but after awhile I embraced new technology and that made it more interesting. In a lot of instances the best employees were more efficient than automation (probably because the best employees didn't program the automated devices) however there was no question that automation beats the heck out of the lower 65% of employees.
I think the future for young people is quite bright actually, they just have to be a bit more careful and observant while choosing a career path.
And heck no, I don't need a computer to back up my trailer or park my car, unfortunately lots of people do.
Sheldon

HP_Cuda

One thing in life is certain: change.

Lead, follow or get out of the way. Folk need to think ahead and adjust accordingly. It would be nice if the government you live under has a plan to address these challenges but I digress.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Burdar

With every advancement in AI and robotics, the closer the Terminator movies come to reality.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ToxicWolf

I'm just glad that I'm old and won't get caught up in the next industrial crisis.  In the, not too distant, future people won't even be allowed to drive their own cars.  :looney:

Topcat

Within a 100 years there probably won't be as many cars.
Just freight trucks. And they will be Auto Pilot driven as well.

You will climb into a pod and say the address and it'll fly to that location.
Uber or Lyft on Wings.

And no doubt it'll be either Elon Musk, Google, or Amazon leading the way on making it happen.

Roadman

I've been looking at the Amazon Echo and the Google Home. Pretty neat what they can do. @ToxicWolf  has the Echo and loves it. Anybody else have one.  ??????

moparcar

Facebook recently shut down an AI experiment because the computers created their own language. Think about that for a second. Google it. Crazy.

HP_Cuda

1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

ToxicWolf