Main Menu

74 Cuda resto Mod/Pro Touring Build.

Started by kjwalters, April 22, 2017, 05:23:05 AM

Previous topic Next topic

larry4406

How exactly do those power window kits work?  Do they drive the original manual regulator?

kjwalters

Quote from: larry4406 on August 11, 2017, 03:15:53 AM
How exactly do those power window kits work?  Do they drive the original manual regulator?

Yes the drive the original regulator. There are not allot of options out there for these e-body rear windows. This one works and does it well. Lifts the windows without any problems and quite. I was a little skeptical at how well it would work, but I am pleased with the results and it was very very cost effective. 

anlauto

Quote from: 74CudaChief on August 08, 2017, 03:20:22 PM
Who makes the conversion kit for the electric rear windows?

@74CudaChief  a company named Nu-Relics also makes a complete bolt in power window kit for E bodies http://www.nu-relics.com/Mopar-s/480.htm  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

larry4406

Quote from: kjwalters on August 11, 2017, 04:54:43 AM

Yes the drive the original regulator. There are not allot of options out there for these e-body rear windows. This one works and does it well. Lifts the windows without any problems and quite. I was a little skeptical at how well it would work, but I am pleased with the results and it was very very cost effective.

Sounds clever. Any pictures showing how this is done?  I searched their web page and no details. I saw their power window switches which retain the window crank as the lever on the switch which is quite cool.

Cuda Cody

That looks like a good bit of custom work.  Looking forward to seeing the end result.   :lurking:

Quote from: kjwalters on July 29, 2017, 05:38:25 PM
One of the more challenging things about this build is the center console. The dashes in these E-bodies are strange how the merge from metal to plastic. Things are not centered like you might think; This makes fabricating a console rather difficult, especially if you want to keep the original dash shape intact. Yeah I could have just cut up the dash and made life easier, but thats not what I wanted. The last couple days I have been working on the new console which will house the Tablet information center, the Ac/Heat controls and the front and rear air vents and window controls. Still got allot of work to do, but it's coming along. I will have some more pics in Monday or Tuesday.

kjwalters

Quote from: larry4406 on August 11, 2017, 02:42:58 PM

Sounds clever. Any pictures showing how this is done?  I searched their web page and no details. I saw their power window switches which retain the window crank as the lever on the switch which is quite cool.

I dont have any pics but will try to get some thins weekend. Basically they give you a gear drive that fits over the gear end of the crank were the original handle goes. You them secure the housing so it can't spin when it turns the crank, and then mount the motor. Work's fine on the smaller rear windows, but I have an electric life kit for the front windows. I am mounting my switches in the custom center console so I can reach them all easily, and I can use the LED color I want. Their switches are pretty good though.

larry4406

Quote from: kjwalters on August 11, 2017, 04:38:16 PM
Quote from: larry4406 on August 11, 2017, 02:42:58 PM

I dont have any pics but will try to get some thins weekend. Basically they give you a gear drive that fits over the gear end of the crank were the original handle goes. You them secure the housing so it can't spin when it turns the crank, and then mount the motor. Work's fine on the smaller rear windows, but I have an electric life kit for the front windows. I am mounting my switches in the custom center console so I can reach them all easily, and I can use the LED color I want. Their switches are pretty good though.

Thank you.  Looking for the picture update.  Where do you mount the switches and how are the factory regulator holes for the window crank shafts in the interior door and quarter trim panels addressed/trimmed?

soundcontrol

Quote from: anlauto on August 11, 2017, 05:00:48 AM
Quote from: 74CudaChief on August 08, 2017, 03:20:22 PM
Who makes the conversion kit for the electric rear windows?

@74CudaChief  a company named Nu-Relics also makes a complete bolt in power window kit for E bodies http://www.nu-relics.com/Mopar-s/480.htm  :alan2cents:

Nice kits, if anyone has used them, do you put the switches in the hole for the crank? And if so, does the hole need to be modified? I want those but I dont wanna modify my nice rear convertible panels.

kjwalters

If anyone is in IL and knows how to do wiring I would greatly appreciate some help. This is not my strongest skill and especially not with a late model Hemi. We are at the point were the wiring should be completed so we can move forward more quickly.
let me know if you anyone has the skill to help.
I am in Spring Valley IL 61362, and have a heated and cooled shop to work in.
Thanks

kjwalters

Making more progress on the Cuda. Couldnt find any help for the wiring so I am learning as I go...it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be, although I purchased a very good wiring unit from American Autowire. The wiring on the rear of the car is done, As you can see by the pics, I found a solution for the reverse lights and a way to utilize the extra hole in the bumper since I am not using the bumperettes. I used a set of 15W led lights which fit the square hole perfectly and do a great job at lighting up behind the car.  I also made a set of stainless mess covers for the holes in the lower rear valence that the bumperettes would normally cover.  I welded a stud onto the valence before painting to mount the cover securely personally like the way it all turned out.
I modified the rear trunk hinges to accept a set of hydraulic prop rods as well, although the pics dont show them, I will post pics later.
Side Glass and electric window conversions are in and the door Trim and weather strip around the door in place. The carpet under lay has been laid. The head light wiring, running lights, horn and  wiring has been run to the front of the car as well. Moving along nicely. More pics to come.

Brads70

Cuda70-74

Your project is coming along nicely good job. Plus u gave me an idea where to put my reverse lights right into that bumper opening.
1969 mustang
1974 cuda turnt into a 71 cuda
1968 charger

Roadman

Mickm

Your project is looking great! I too used the American AutoWire kit. It worked good for the most part but there were places I had to wire differently than their instructions. Their customer service was good though and now that it is completed, I am very pleased with the results.

Really like what you did with the back-up lights and valance openings.

Cheers!
Mickm

kjwalters

Quote from: Mickm on August 24, 2017, 05:49:11 PM
Your project is looking great! I too used the American AutoWire kit. It worked good for the most part but there were places I had to wire differently than their instructions. Their customer service was good though and now that it is completed, I am very pleased with the results.

Really like what you did with the back-up lights and valance openings.

Cheers!
Mickm

Thank you, I appreciate your feedback.
I used their hiway 22 kit. everything seems pretty straight forward except you have to allow some changes while integrating the new Gen III hemi ECM, the remote shaved door and trunk kit...and stuff like that.  For example, their panel has provision for the fuel pump, but the ECM wiring comes with a fuel pump hot wire with a relay, so I was told to use that fuel pump send as opposed to the one on the Fuse panel. I though their directions and diagrams were very well done for sure...I hate wiring and this is helping me. Thanks again.